Custom dashboard for non admin users

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

Custom dashboard for non admin users

Hello friends,

We are trying to build something with the APIs for a client who wants to have custom dashboards for some users on their team. They basically want to include tracking of electrical consumption on every network (Ethernet power details, power rate over time, and consumption on the devices per network) 

I've checked the API docs but couldn't find anything clear and so I was hoping to learn if anyone has had experience with pulling this type of info out through the APIs.

7 REPLIES 7
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not sure if we can achieve that with the APIs. May be leaders can guide here @PhilipDAth @cmr @DarrenOC @BrandonS 

Regards
Inderdeep

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Thanks for the shout out @Inderdeep   I am actually quite novice with the API, but interested and have spent some time browsing and learning from https://meraki.io Not trying to tell you to just "go figure it out yourself", but if you have not used the API at all it is a good place to start to understand the capabilities and start to plan how you would put something together to pull data you want.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah the motive is to help everyone, if we can because sometime people dont know from where to start as many times with me as a case, a quick indication makes as a reference point and leads to get the idea of doing the things in better way. I did uses APIs but never worked this kind of report pulling.. : )

Thanks anyways for guiding us !

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>They basically want to include tracking of electrical consumption

If haven't seen anything in the API that would provide this information.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yeah I was just looking and don't see anything around power consumption either.  You might be looking at a web scraping tool to pull that for you.  I am playing with this at the moment and it seems a good way to get an idea of the monitoring data you can pull: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/build/meraki-dashboard-reports-with-google-sheets/

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
AutomationDude
Building a reputation

Thank you for your help and insights friends, I appreciate it loads 🙂

Will look deeper into it and update you guys if I make any progress!

sungod
Head in the Cloud

In Dashboard and the current API I believe the only power consumption data is for switch port PoE...

powerUsageInWh

...in the https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!get-device-switch-ports-statuses call.

We gather this for customer reporting to show daily switch PoE maximum vs. switch PoE budget (needs a manual lookup table of budget for each model), used/free ports are also tracked plus warnings and errors.

In our case this is for capacity planning rather than tracking consumption over time, for that you'd need to sample shorter periods.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.