API to disable SSID broadcasting on an MX 65W device.

Craiegg
Getting noticed

API to disable SSID broadcasting on an MX 65W device.

Hello all,

I am looking for an API call to disable the SSID status for an MX 65W device from Security & SD-WAN - Wireless Settings- SSID 1 - Status ( Enabled/Disabled )

I have gone through the available API documentation for both v0,v1 . However, the SSID status update for enable/disable is available only for APs

Does anyone know of a way I can acheive this or if I have missed reading the documentation correclty?

Thanks,
Craig.

13 REPLIES 13
JPena
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Craig,

Although not explicitly mentioned, I believe that the wireless/SSID endpoints function for the MX wireless series as well.

Jose Pena
Network Support Engineer @ Cisco Meraki .:|:.:|:.
Craiegg
Getting noticed

Hello @JPena ,

Thank you for your response. I am using the following device: MX68W

I just gave this a try using the v1 endpoint : https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/networks/{network_id}/wireless/ssids

It returns me a 400 Bad Request: 

"errors": [
        "This endpoint only supports wireless networks"
    ]

Could you confirm if there is any method/endpoint other than the dashboard to disable it ?
If no, is this in the pipeline for future releases of the API/SDK ? 
John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Craiegg -- for Z, MX-W, MX-C, and MX-CW, please use the v0 endpoints to manage the wireless settings. 

Craiegg
Getting noticed

Hi @John-K ,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried v0 endpoint and it works perfectly. However there is an issue.

I have a network with both an MX-68W and an AP.

If I use any of the v0 or v1 endpoints to Get SSIDs or Update SSID's , it only returns me the SSID's from the AP and enables/disables the SSID from the AP. It still continues to broadcast from the MX-W.

If i remove the AP out of the network and keep only the MX-68W, then the v0 endpoints for Fetching and Updating the SSID's on the MX-W works perfectly fine.

My end objective is the following:
"Network with MX-W and AP (both broadcasting the same SSIDs) - Fetch SSIDs - Disable SSID 1/2/3  - It should disable SSID broadcasting on both the MX-W and the AP. "

But currently it only disables from the AP.

I have raised a feature request, however if there are any suggestions for an alternative endpoint please do let me know and I'll be glad to test them out.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Craig.

Hello @Craiegg . I know this is like a year and two months later but home you still keeping track of this thread 🙂

You mention:

If i remove the AP out of the network and keep only the MX-68W, then the v0 endpoints for Fetching and Updating the SSID's on the MX-W works perfectly fine.

I just want to find out if you know what I am doing wrong. I have a MX68CW-WW only and cannot get the v0 or v1 endpoint working. Have you done anything special that got yours working perhaps?

Thanks.

Walter

Hi @John-K .

I have a MX68CW-WW and the endpoint is not working for me. Get the same error as with version 1 of the API. 

We have a need of managing individual ssid passwords for a +- 4k estate.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Walter

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This API endpoint covers it for MX-W devices: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#!update-network-ssid

If you are having an issue with that endpoint you'll want to share things like the request path and method.

Hi @John-K . Thank you. The v0 is working. I might have had a typo or someting before or I might have used the inconnect object and method in the Meraki sdk. No onto the second hurdle 🙂  Do you know if this endpoint will eventually be ported to v1? 

@sretlawtry to register for the Developer Early Access Program 😃

Thank you @Greenberet I signed up. Waiting for approval. Hopefully the judges sees me as worthy 🤞

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi there, you did not include the full URL of your dashboard so we are not able to enable it for you. Please re-apply and submit the full URL for your dashboard (note it is a full URL not just nX.meraki.com)

Hi @John-K . Thank you for the reply. Do you know if there are any risks bound to the enabling of this feature on our org. If there is none, then I will gladly go ahead, but if any, then I would need to discuss internally first.

John-K
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The early access application covers the risks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.