error: 3A Command requires DEP enrollment

ppoggione
New here

error: 3A Command requires DEP enrollment

Whenever I try to run a command on a MacOS device(ie, run an OS Software Update)  I get an "error: 3A Command requires DEP enrollment" despite all my devices being enrolled in DEP. I just started using the Meraki MDM and wonder if I am just missing something obvious? I enrolled the devices in DEP and they show up properly in the dashboard as DEP devices. Any assistance would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You may have the devices enrolled in DEP however if you go to Systems Manager > DEP and search for a device are its settings pushed or assigned?

I eventually found a solution to the problem. They Macs were all showing as "assigned" not as "pushed". Wiping the OS and reinstalling was not an option on the particular machines I was working with. I did try booting to recovery and doing an OS reinstall, but that made no difference. Ultimately running the following command to force the iMac to install the DEP enrollment profile:

sudo /usr/bin/profiles renew -type enrollment

This works great if your Mac has never been enrolled in DEP before. If for some reason you are trying to re-enroll a mac this will probably not work. But if you are enrolling a mac after installing the OS and configuring everything, this will get you out of hot water so that you are not forced to wipe it and reinstall from scratch.  Hopefully this will help someone out.

@ppoggione Thanks for sharing that command, that is exactly what I was searching for 2 days ago!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.