Applicance Status / Tools /Internet traffic

Solved
LoriAyn
Comes here often

Applicance Status / Tools /Internet traffic

Hello,

I do not see 'Internet Traffic' under tools on dashboard?  I encountered this mentioned in documentation or somewhere.  Am I missing something or another opportunity at new tool?

MX64 offers lots of ways to monitor and analyze internet traffic across the network, can't say I'm lacking information, just curious and seeking confirmation.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @LoriAyn I'm not sure but it sounds like you might have seen an "Internet Traffic" tool referenced somewhere specific to the MX Security Appliance?  The tools you see on the "Tools" page are just basic utility programs like ping, DNS, traceroute and to test the throughput of Dashboard connectivity (not the throughput of the MX itself) among other items.  There is not an "Internet Traffic" tool that can be run from that page.  However, the MX does of course fingerprint and characterize all traffic and clients that it sees, which is easiest to get to on the Network Wide > Clients page, from the pie chart and the customizable flex table, as well as clicking the More link under the pie chart and then clicking into individual applications, or alternatively clicking into a specific clients page to see traffic characteristics for a specific client.  There's more you can do from there with filtering, such as viewing any/all clients with a specific policy applied and things like that.

Perhaps you are thinking of a separate product, that runs in conjunction with the MX appliance, called Meraki Insight.  MI is all about web application performance, which is exactly what you might be after when you say "Internet Traffic" analysis.  MI is a separately licensed product and leverages the MX as the "probe" device, and provides very deep insight into the traffic patterns and performance of any/all web-based apps on your network, and very simple analysis and troubleshooting when issues arise.  More info on that here https://meraki.cisco.com/products/insight/

Hope that helps!  Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @LoriAyn I'm not sure but it sounds like you might have seen an "Internet Traffic" tool referenced somewhere specific to the MX Security Appliance?  The tools you see on the "Tools" page are just basic utility programs like ping, DNS, traceroute and to test the throughput of Dashboard connectivity (not the throughput of the MX itself) among other items.  There is not an "Internet Traffic" tool that can be run from that page.  However, the MX does of course fingerprint and characterize all traffic and clients that it sees, which is easiest to get to on the Network Wide > Clients page, from the pie chart and the customizable flex table, as well as clicking the More link under the pie chart and then clicking into individual applications, or alternatively clicking into a specific clients page to see traffic characteristics for a specific client.  There's more you can do from there with filtering, such as viewing any/all clients with a specific policy applied and things like that.

Perhaps you are thinking of a separate product, that runs in conjunction with the MX appliance, called Meraki Insight.  MI is all about web application performance, which is exactly what you might be after when you say "Internet Traffic" analysis.  MI is a separately licensed product and leverages the MX as the "probe" device, and provides very deep insight into the traffic patterns and performance of any/all web-based apps on your network, and very simple analysis and troubleshooting when issues arise.  More info on that here https://meraki.cisco.com/products/insight/

Hope that helps!  Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Terrific thanks for needed clarification

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.