Switch change alerts still very poor

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch change alerts still very poor

The switch change alerts have now been pretty much useless for the last 1-2 years, can they be fixed, or at least not show incorrect information?  Two examples below:

One change made, just missing some information:

Switch ports

• XXXXXX Unit 3 (RHS) / 25 was changed by [me] (my email).
    • Old value:
      • Name: **NOT IN USE**
      • Port: disabled
      • Type: trunk
      • Native VLAN: [drop VLAN]
    • New value:
      • Name: CCTV BJ7

In actual fact the port was enabled, set to access mode and a new untagged VLAN set.

Here is an example that is just wrong where more than one change was made in an interval:

Switch ports

• Test Lab / 1 was changed by [my team] (my team email).
    • Old value:
      • Name: CCTV (legacy)
      • VLAN: [legacy CCTV VLAN]
    • New value:
      • Allowed VLANs: [17 numbered VLANs]

In this case my team member did change the name and VLAN on port 1, but just to a new name and access VLAN, not to a trunk as is alluded to in the New Value.

I changed port 9 on the switch to include 3 additional VLANs (from 14 to 17), so the information is correct when taken line by line, but the actual email is completely nonsensical!

/rant

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CarolineS, this is one of those boring jobs that no developer will really want to take on, but it should be fixed.

Are you able to email someone in charge of the dashboard team this post?  I'll send a copy to KevinR and see if I can get his attention.

I'll see what I can do! Thanks for the heads up.

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr @PhilipDAth , thank you for flagging this!

I'm bubbling this up internally to see if I can help move this forward. 
If you have a case opened for it, do you mind dropping me a DM with the case number, so I can reinforce?

Many thanks!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GiacomoS I hadn't logged a ticket, just ranted here!  I can do so if it makes things move quicker?

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr the more the tracking, the easier it is for me to push things 😜

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GiacomoS the case number is 11458091 😎

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Legend @cmr thank you, I've banged some drums and struck some cymbals. 
I can't guarantee anything, but at least we are casting some spotlight 😉 

Giac

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.