Static IP Assignment via Dashboard

SOLVED
MLennon
Here to help

Static IP Assignment via Dashboard

Has the Static IP assignment via the Meraki Dashboard moved out of beta? If it has not how reliable is it. I am moving an MX-64 from DHCP to static, however I am in Chicago and the router is in LA. Doing this remotely would save a lot of headaches.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Identical.  Only thing I don't believe you can control is the duplex if for some reason you need to change that.  If you do, I think you still have to do that from the local config page.  Also, the device has to be online and checked in for you to be able to IP config via dashboard.  So that poses an issue for some people that have static IPs since they cannot initially connect the device to get it online.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Yes it is in production now and is accessible from the dashboard.  Security Appliance>Appliance Status then click the Uplink tab and click the little pencil next to the WAN interface.

Capture.PNG

It works just as good as doing a local IP assignment?

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Identical.  Only thing I don't believe you can control is the duplex if for some reason you need to change that.  If you do, I think you still have to do that from the local config page.  Also, the device has to be online and checked in for you to be able to IP config via dashboard.  So that poses an issue for some people that have static IPs since they cannot initially connect the device to get it online.

Yes it's on DHCP and I'm switching to static. However I'm not sure what you mean by checked in.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

As long as it can get DHCP initially to get to the internet so it can check-in with the Meraki dashboard then you should be fine.  That will let it be managed.  At that point you could assign it the static IP from the dashboard and it should take.  

Thanks for the info.

Ssulaimant
Conversationalist

Can I give the MX a static IP to get on an existing network that will make it get Internet access? 

A customer wants to do a demo, he needs to put the MX on an existing network to give it Internet access but there is a firewall in place on the network blocking the MX from getting IP via DHCP. 

How can we assign a Static IP that will be allowed on the firewall to the MX? 

Your response would highly appreciated and it will give us sales. Thanks! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.