Selling existing equipment to other company

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Selling existing equipment to other company

Hello

I`m  reaching out for assistance with de-provisioning Cisco Meraki equipment.

Our company is relocating from its current office, and we are considering selling the following equipment as-is to the incoming tenant:

1 Cisco Meraki MX

2 Cisco Meraki Switches

5 Cisco Meraki Access Points

I would like to understand the process for de-provisioning this equipment from our Meraki dashboard.

We have three office locations, but only wish to sell the equipment from one of them.

Could you please provide us with a guide or instructions on how to proceed?

The new company doesnt have any Meraki Dashboard account, so I guess they would have to create one and claim all devices from us?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Roey

10 Replies 10
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Remove the devices from your networks and unclaim them from your inventory/dashboard. Provide the new tenants the serials from which they’ll claim into their dashboard.  They’ll be required to buy new licenses.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Roey1984
Building a reputation

Understood.

So its very straightforward.

After they will claim the new devices to their Dashboard, all they would have to do is claim the devices we released i understand.

How about the Dashboard itself? does it require a license as well?

So in total they would require to purchase 8 licenses? one for each device, right?

No licensing requirement for the Dashboard Organization itself - just for every device you want to actually use.  Access Point licences are independent of the AP model itself, but they will need model-specific licences for MXs and switches.

They will want to think about the right license levels for their needs too - particularly for the MX, where most customers want at least Advanced Security.

I suggest the target customer work closely with an experienced Cisco Meraki partner to check all this sort of stuff.

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Thank you very much!

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You'll need to follow the instructions for removing those devices from their current Network(s) https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Adding_and_Removing_De...

Followed by unclaiming the devices from your Organization:  https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Using_the_Organization...

They will indeed then need to claim those serial numbers into a Dashboard Organization of their own (they may need to wait half an hour after your unclaim.)

They will need to purchase licensing for those devices - this is not trasferrable between different customers.

If I was the 'destination' customer I would be checking the position of the individual units within the product liifecycle:  https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Meraki_End-of-Life_(EOL)_Produc...

Note the devices will not retain their configuration through the move

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Hey there

Intresting.

I didnt know they would need to reconfigure those devices from scratch, i will let them know.

In the link you sent (Meraki End-of-Life (EOL) Products and Dates), I cant seem to find  my models of Access Points  (MR44 and MR46 and MX75), ANY IDEA WHY?

Because they're not End of Sale!    (so this is good news for your target customer.)   😁

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Amazing!

Thank you sir 🙂

Remember that a Network in the Dashboard is effectively a container for configuration;   you place a device in a Network and it gets the configuration that is in there.   So if you take a device out of a Network, it loses its configuration and gains whatever config exists in the new Network in which it's placed.

There are some scripts out there that use the Dashboard API, to allow config to be pulled from the current Network and pushed to the new one.

Roey1984
Building a reputation

Interesting, I didnt know that.

Either way, i guess the new company would need a Cisco personnel to assist them with the configuration, so its something they`ll have to look after

thank you man

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.