SM Live Tools Missing

Solved
sesame_uwash
Conversationalist

SM Live Tools Missing

We recently converted from the legacy free version of Systems Manager to paid, and now things seem to be working differently. 

Previously just downloading and running the Meraki Agent on a new machine was all it took to get it to register with the dashboard, but that doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.  I've tried from a few different machines and the registration never comes through.  

I was able to get one machine on my adding it through the Windows 11 device managment interface, and for that machine things worked fine -- live tools showed up, etc. 

Then I deleted the record for my own machine and attempted to start from scratch to figure out the best process moving forward.  Adding it through the Windows 11 interface brought it onto the dashboard right away, so far so good.  However, even though the most recent downloadable version of Meraki Agent is running and shows up fine in the Services view, I have lost all access to the "Live Tools" for things like remote desktop, and I can't get them to come back no matter what I try.   

The one that says "Live Tools" is what it should look like, but the other one where there's just a blank space where those should be is my problem.  

good_machine.pngbad_machine.png

Any help would be appreciated! 

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Under Systems Manager/General, have you got it configured to use a recent version of the agent?

PhilipDAth_0-1727173794737.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @sesame_uwash,

Judging by the screenshot, it looks like the machine is only being detected under profile installation, and not the Meraki agent - I'd recommend reaching out to Support and they'll likely ask you to provide the agent logs, to see if the unit has successfully registered and is communicating correctly.

This file can be found for agent 4+ here: C:\ProgramData\Meraki\Endpoint Agent\Logs\m_agent_service.log (https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Other_Topics/Systems_Manager_Logging_and_Troubleshooting#Windows)

Cheers, Connor.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Under Systems Manager/General, have you got it configured to use a recent version of the agent?

PhilipDAth_0-1727173794737.png

sesame_uwash
Conversationalist

In the end, it was an agent versioning problem.  I assumed incorrectly that since I was downloading directly from the SM menus on my fresh install that I was getting a recent version, and that had worked all along, but in fact it was giving back something older that was no longer compatible.  The confusing part, still somewhat, was that it worked fine for the brand new machine, eventually, without changing the network version settings as shown in the solution.  That must have been a fluke or I must have somehow donwloaded a higher number by some mechanism.

But after changing those settings to "Latest" and re-downloading and reinstalling the agent on my test machines, all was right within a couple minutes.  🙂

Thanks for the replies!

Jeff

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.