Question regarding to network design

Solved
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Question regarding to network design

Hi all,

just have a question regarding to my network design for a new site...

Will have a stack of two coreswitches (aggregationswitch), a few access switches and a several accesspoints.

In the past, I made a network and put all devices into the same network. 

Now I´m thinking of making two networks... One for the corestack, the other for all switches and accesspoints.

How do you guys do it or is there a best practice?

Thinking of updating firmwares... in the network where I have all in one, I can only update everything... It may make sense to only (or step by step) update accessswitches (first).

Thanks for your tips.

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Ah nice, didn´t notice staged updates till now. Thanks!

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Hi @GreenMan ,

got a further question on this...

Nearly the same question as above, but this time there is already a network running and now another building is coming in with its own corestack, switches and accesspoints.

Existing network/building and new building are connected to each other. The new Corestack will get its uplink through the existing corestack.

Is there a best practise for this?

All in one Network or a new network for the new building?

It may be more clearer if I have to networks, but as it is at the exact same address and even connected between each other I´m not sure what the best way is.

Thanks, regards

Marc

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'd be tempted to do these as one network still.  How many switches are we talking about, it total?

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

33 Switches (couple of stacks) , 150 Accesspoints.

But regarding to your posts, decided to put all in one network 🙂

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes one network, if you split them into multiple networks the dashboard will not be able to draw the topology and it could make viewing network clients a pain. 

Hi @BlakeRichardson ,

got a further question on this...

Nearly the same question as above, but this time there is already a network running and now another building is coming in with its own corestack, switches and accesspoints.

Existing network/building and new building are connected to each other. The new Corestack will get its uplink through the existing corestack.

Is there a best practise for this?

All in one Network or a new network for the new building?

It may be more clearer if I have to networks, but as it is at the exact same address and even connected between each other I´m not sure what the best way is.

Thanks, regards

Marc

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.