Phantom MX devices and firmware alerts

Darren_H
Conversationalist

Phantom MX devices and firmware alerts

So amongst other devices we have 4 MX64W devices, each assigned to their own networks.

Inventory correctly shows 4 x MX64W.

However in the firmware update pages I've for an alert for an out of date Firmware on an "MX" in our main network.

There is no MX device in this network.

If I then go to ALL Networks under firmware upgrades, this dash shows me I have 6 MX devices.

On one network it's showing an MX on the latest firmware. Again there is no MX assigned to this network, when I click through it's actually an up-to-date MR18 endpoint.

When I had a similar issue with MV camera firmware updating being listed in an incorrect network, the response in the support ticket was to "just ignore that". I gave up, but it did eventually clear. 

I know also have reported usage sorting problem for which I raised a ticket, clearly a known issue for at least a week and the support response is... do firmware updates.

Anyone else getting a bit annoyed with these types of bugs the responses from support?

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you share a screenshot? Are you talking about the same organization? 

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

All in a single org.

4 MX Inventory - Meraki Dashboard.png

6 MX Firmware Upgrade Manager - Meraki Dashboard.png

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Have got kind of same view...

I see MX´s as well even though in this Org there is no MX at all, and never has been.

Just saw that one network has a MX as good and up to date, but there is no MX in 😄

MarcP_0-1648557725795.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

do you have combined networks? you can try split a combined network that has a "phantom mx". And then combine the networks with active devices in it. https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Combined_Dashboar...

Darren_H
Conversationalist

Thanks, that was useful. 3 of the MX device networks were showing as combined but with only the single MX device attached. I split them out and then deleted those with no devices.

Weirdly one of them was the one showing the weird camera mentioned above, a bit weird how a camera ended up being associated with that network to begin with. 🤔

That's cleared one of the phantom MXs, however I'm reluctant to split out my main network as it's got 33 devices with 380 clients connected.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is common.  What happens is the combined network can support an MX, even though one isn't configured at the moment, and as such can have a firmware version set.

You can use this to do things like set the desired firmware for a new network before adding an MX to it.

I've used it as well when swapping out an MX from a network for a new MX, and the old MX and new MX could not run the same firmware version due to the age difference.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.