Organization split / Co-termination

Solved
Thygesen
Building a reputation

Organization split / Co-termination

Hi Experts 😎

Scenario..

An organization running Meraki co-term is splitting up, deviding their HW in two sections, not alike.

Ie: 6 MX100 in orgA, 2 in orgB, etc..

1) How do I split the org without the effort of reconfig orgB, when HW moved out ?

2) How do I move the licenses ?

3) Will this split affect the termination date if ie. heavy licenses are not moved in equal shares ?

With highest regards

Thyge

1 Accepted Solution
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Thygesen 

A) Use API where you can to export/import the Config.  You’ll have to manually configure the WAN IP details as everything will be lost when you move the device

B) You’ll need to contact Meraki support for that piece.  It’s doable just as long as the request comes from an Org Admin

C) maybe ask support or your Meraki AM for this piece.

All the best

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Thygesen 

A) Use API where you can to export/import the Config.  You’ll have to manually configure the WAN IP details as everything will be lost when you move the device

B) You’ll need to contact Meraki support for that piece.  It’s doable just as long as the request comes from an Org Admin

C) maybe ask support or your Meraki AM for this piece.

All the best

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

You can move licenses yourself as long as you're an admin in both Orgs https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/How_to_do_a_License_Transfer_in_Co...

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Ryan_Miles - learnt something new there! I did not know that customers could do this themselves now. We’ve always engaged with support to have the licences ported.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Splitting an organization in Meraki involves several steps and considerations. Here's how you can approach it:

In certain cases, an organization administrator may wish to split an existing organization into one or more child organizations. In such circumstances, a customer must engage Cisco Meraki Support via the dashboard and open an email case to arrange for an organization split. Any organization-level administrator with Full privileges can request an organization split. The organization split process itself migrates one or more networks and their associated devices to a new, separate organization.

To move devices between organizations, you need to remove the device from the current organization and then claim it in the new organization. It typically takes about 5-60 minutes to move devices between organizations. During this time, the device will be updating and offline. The static IP addressing set on the devices will change when moved to a different organization. The dashboard configuration that is applied to the device will not migrate to the new organization. It is recommended to pre-configure the receiving network to match the existing network before moving the device.

Licenses can be transferred between organizations managed by the same customer. You can initiate a license transfer on the UI. Navigate to the source organization's Organization > Configure > License Info page. Scroll down to the License History section and click on the Move button next to the source license key that needs to be transferred. You can also request a license transfer by contacting Meraki Support.

The co-termination date is calculated by dividing the sum of the remaining days for all licenses by the number of devices. If you co-term your licenses, on day 31 after your expiration date, all of your devices will stop working since the same expiration date applies to all Meraki devices in your environment. So, if heavy licenses are not moved in equal shares, it could affect the termination date.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Regarding Org split mentioned by @alemabrahao above (which should definitely be your first port of call, ! think!) have a careful read of this:   https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Organization_Spli...

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Annnnnd make sure that your licence are not expired ! Been there.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.