Okta to leverage Meraki API to for creating/managing Meraki Cloud Auth users

BryceKnezovich
Conversationalist

Okta to leverage Meraki API to for creating/managing Meraki Cloud Auth users

We are looking to create/manage Meraki Cloud Auth users for 802.1x implementation across our org. 

We have 2 corporates locations, and 300+ clinics across the US. Currently, each network is an island, with not tunnels connecting the org. All of our services are cloud hosted, and super lightweight. 

With our current strategy, we do not have a RADIUS server anywhere, and don't plan on standing one up .

We are looking to leverage the Meraki Cloud Auth users, which would meet our needs, however with 1500+ users, it's going to be a ton of labor to create everyone, and then password hell to manage. 

I know the Meraki API can create/manage/delete users, which would be perfect for what we are trying to accomplish. I am looking to connect Meraki Cloud Auth to Okta environment, and let Okta handle the this workflow. 

The issue is, I am struggling to find something on how to tie the 2 platforms together in this manner. We are already doing Admin and MV/Vision SAML deployments, but the logical workflow doesn't work out the same manner. We do not want to spin up the Okta RADIUS server either. 

Has anyone tied Okta with Meraki to create/manage Cloud Auth Users? Any insight on where to start?

Bryce Knezovich
1 Reply 1
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Okta can integrate with Meraki for SAML and RADIUS authentication, there isn’t a direct integration available for managing Meraki Cloud Auth users through Okta.

The Meraki API does provide endpoints for managing users, but these would need to be used in conjunction with Okta’s APIs to synchronize user data between the two platforms. This would likely involve writing a custom script or application to handle the synchronization.

Use Okta’s Event Hooks or System Log API to monitor for events related to user creation, updates, and deletions.

Sync changes to Meraki: When a relevant event is detected in Okta, use the Meraki API to make the corresponding change to the user in Meraki.

Implement error handling to ensure that failures in the synchronization process are dealt with appropriately. Also consider how to handle edge cases, such as conflicts between the two systems.

This approach would require some development effort and ongoing maintenance to ensure the synchronization process continues to work as expected. If you don’t have the resources to develop and maintain this kind of integration in-house, you might want to consider working with a professional services provider or a managed services provider with experience in Okta and Meraki integrations.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.