Meraki wifi access control using filtered Google Suite

RobertoFilho
Comes here often

Meraki wifi access control using filtered Google Suite

Hi everyone.

Here at the school I work at we still use WPA2 as authentication for Meraki wifi. We have 2 available SSIDs (Staff and Students).

A while ago the students figured out the password for the Staff SSID, so it won't matter if I change it , they 'll find out eventually again.

Meraki allows me to enable 3rd party credentials, so I want to use our Google Suite for that. The problem is that the students also have Google's credentials, so how can I filter the access to only allow staff to use the Staff network?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I think you would only be able to separate these if you can use two different domains.  *Maybe* you can have a subdomain or alias in GSuite that would work.  

So if students and teachers all use myschool.com maybe you can also have myschoolabc.com or myschool.net in GSuite for them to use for the purpose of WiFi authentication.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

@BrandonS, thank you so much for the quick answer. Right now, I can't have another domain for my school, but I have organization units inside Google Suite, do you think is there a way that they could do the trick?

Sorry but I am not really sure.  It is something you may just need to try and see.

Wy couldn't you add another domain though?  It would be cheap and easy and seems to have a good chance to work.

Another idea might be to use Meraki authentication for staff and give them all account credentials.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What sort of devices do the teachers use?

A great solution would be to put Meraki Systems Manager onto those devices.  Then you can auto-deploy certificates, and configure the staff SSID to only allow certificates.  Then there are no more passwords, and nothing the students can learn.

It works best with Apple and Android devices.  It doesn't work so well with Windows 10.

They call it "Sentry" authentication.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring_EAP-TLS_Wireless_Authe...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.