Meraki Cloud | Syslog-ng | No log

cypher88
Just browsing

Meraki Cloud | Syslog-ng | No log

Working on forwarding syslog protocol log message to syslong-ng server. 

I've got the configuration file in place but log location /var/log/meraki.log isn't recording any events/alerts. 

server selinux is permissions and netstat shows its listention on 514. Meraki reporting syslog is setup correctly using ip and default 514

When i run packet capture using tcpdump, server is receiving messages, but none are being recorded in path defined on the syslog-ng.conf file

Any input is appreciated. 

13 Replies 13
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

I've given it a go before but service will not start when using filter f_meraki { facility(meraki); };

Per journal log it seems to get stuck at that configuration. 

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sample configs 

source s_ext_udp_15146 {
udp(so_rcvbuf(1073741823) log_fetch_limit(10000) port(15146));
};
filter f_meraki { facility(local0) };
log {
source(s_ext_udp_15146);
filter(f_meraki);
destination(d_meraki);
};
destination d_meraki {
file("/logpartition/logs/meraki/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/meraki-$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY"
owner(root) group(adm) perm(0640) dir_perm(0751) dir_group(adm) create_dirs(yes) template("$ISODATE $HOST $MSGHDR$MSGONLY\n"));
};

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

>port(15146))

It should be using port 500.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

>It should be using port 500.

514 I think. or it can be changed in Meraki side to match 15146

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oops, @BrandonS is correct.  It should be 514.

Yea, i matched to what was setup on meraki 514... No dice... tail -f /var/log/meraki.log file still shows 0 bytes.. No writes

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there a host-based firewall running on the server?

iptables inactive

selinux permissive

firewalld.service inactive

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

That seems to indicate the trouble is server side.  Can you check anything else on the server?

For a sanity check you could use papertrailapp.com it is a free cloud syslog server and pretty quick and easy to configure and test with, if nothing else.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I hope you configured Syslog with the right configuration as described in Scenario 3 - Reachable via AutoVPN

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Syslog_Server_Overv... 

Check this article as well, if you are inline with the configurations 

https://snehpatel.com/index.php/2019/09/11/configuring-syslog-in-meraki-device/ 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

The first url is for defined host IPs. 

I'm sending from meraki cloud dashboard configuration page. Logs are hitting the server, it just not getting logged where I need them to be stored. 

The second url you mentioned I keep running into following syntax error when restarting the service on the server. 

filter f_meraki { facility(meraki); };

JonH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

In that example, the author used "meraki" as a facility. There's no such thing.

Meraki defaults to local0 for the facility and this is not something that can be changed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.