Getting bogus alert emails

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Getting bogus alert emails

I get a bogus alert email for one of my Orgs this morning and wondered if anyone else has been getting any. The alert I got was below.

The security appliance in the XZY network has detected an IP conflict with two or more devices.

The IP 192.168.1.108 is claimed by clients with the following MAC addresses: E0:50:8B:13:96:78  14:A7:8B:09:25:52 

The part thats bogus is that this security appliance isn't configured with that mentioned subnet and the two MAC it refers two are using statically assigned DHCP in a totally different subent. It the only device in that network capaible of DHCP so I have no idea what is going on. Looking at the Network > Monitor > Clients page when I search for that IP there is nothing in that range which I expect because its not used. 

3 Replies 3
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you looked at the ARP table ? What about the event logs , do you see anything related to the duplicate IP ?

Don't get fooled by the Network -> Monitor -> Clients page ,  Clients that do not pass Internet trafic won't be mapped. In a case of a dupplicate IP I suppose that one of them isn't able to pass traffic at all.

Both of the devices are online and functional with IP addresses in a completely different range, As mentioned the IP subnet specified in the alert email isn't used. 

Nothing in the change logs ? A network rebind , template rebind ?

Nothing in the event logs  ''IP conflict'' ? 

If you answer no to all these questions , I think you will need to open a case to shed some light on that issue. I have over 6000 networks and none of these alerts were received today.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.