Firmware upgrades during Covid lockdowns

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Firmware upgrades during Covid lockdowns

Morning All,

Are network admins taking this opportunity to push out firmware upgrades across their networks?

ideal time to patch and look at new features.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
7 Replies 7
Julian
Getting noticed

With the last updates of mx firmwares we had problems  with some devices, support sent us replacements, if you have remote hands on the site to reboot the device and replace is a good idea, if not be carefoul upgrading the devices....

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Julia,

what issues did you hit please and what firmware’s were you going from and to?

cheers

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have 15.27 without noticeable issues at all sites on 64,65,67.84.100 and 250 models though we don't use the advanced security features.

hi, we had problems with different models of mx, going to the 14.4 version, I do not remember from wich version 😞 

The problem is: When the upgrade reboot the firmware the device is not able to connect to the dashboard, an error appears on the dashboard "unable to fetch configuration". When you open a case to support they can see the device and access to it, but not from the dashboard. The first times they directly offer us a rma, the last times they offer us two options:

- They can do a change on the device and int the 90% of times the device is recovered.

- If the office can wait 1 or 2 days without internet they preffer to do a RMA because in this way the can get the device and analyze it, one engineer told me is a problem with the device, it loss the partition with the configuration.

Regards

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here: 15.27 running without issues or hickups.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

Working for a MSP most of our clients are remote and almost never have anyone onsite.  I've done numerous upgrades and never had any issues.  There's always that chance but I think it's very slim.  I would just do small batches if possible.  In case something bad does happen you can catch it before it causes a catastrophic disaster.

BAllen
Here to help

Absolutely! If you normally have 24/7 dependencies on your network, you should take full advantage of this as a maintenance window.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.