Devices removed from inventory

AnnaB
New here

Devices removed from inventory

Hello. In early January, I added 7 devices to my inventory. I bought devices online, they gave me codes, and I'm still waiting for units. I added the codes to make sure they work.
but today when I checked they disappeared. Now I sign in and it says to me that the inventory is empty. Where did my devices go? I'm attaching a screenshot of where they were added. If I try to add them again, it says that they are already in use. Help me how to fix this?

!.jpg!!!!!.jpg!!!!.jpg!!.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Where did you buy the gear? I can see the serials are now in another customer's org.

I bought them online, and when i claimed the devices to make sure they were unclaimed they added to my account. So I was happy with the purchase. Could you please tell me how it's possible that they got removed from my account and got attached to someone else's ?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Online doesn’t mean they’re legit. I would open a Support case. You might also need to contact the seller. 

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @AnnaB like @Ryan_Miles I can see the APs in another customer's Dashboard organization (actually two Orgs), as if they were never unclaimed from those Orgs, however they were never online or in use.  When you say they gave you the codes, do you mean the serial numbers, or maybe an order number and/or a license key?  And you say you claimed these 7 APs and they did in fact populate into your Organization > Inventory? 

If so, and you did not unclaim them yourself, nobody else would have been able to claim them, it would give the same error that the devices were "in use" because they're already claimed in your Org. 

You'll probably have to open a case with Meraki Support and the partner/reseller you purchased the APs through.  Meraki Support should be able to investigate the order history and if and how these APs were ever claimed into your Org and/or removed from your Org and how they ended up in another customer's Org.  

I thought a serial could be claimed (removed) from one org and into another if said serial was not assigned to a network??

Correct, a full org admin can remove a device from a network and unclaim it from the org, at which point it could be re-claimed into another org, perhaps by a completely different full org admin. In this case it seemed like Anna claimed devices into an org and then somehow were no longer in the org, so trying to figure what went on and where these serials existed and when and how they were purchased to try to determine if some online 2nd hand seller was running a scam. 

Not to be pedantic, but I'll rephrase and ask my question @MerakiDave 

Org A had a device in inventory but not assigned to a network. Org B decides to claim said serial. The device will leave Org A and now be part of Org B.

Actually, I just tested it and it worked. I "stole" a device from one org and brought it into another. Granted I am an admin for both, but I was not sure if this was a requirement for this to work. It certainly did not require me to unclaim it.

I thought there was a discussion that the only thing which prevents a device being closed 

@Aaron_Wilson thats an extremely massive security flaw if thats correct. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BlakeRichardson I have always believed that what @Aaron_Wilson said is correct, that's why we have a network for spare devices that aren't in use...

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@AnnaB Were the devices bough from a reseller or did you buy them secondhand?

I would be very wary about buying Meraki gear second hand. Hopefully support can help you and hopefully its not someone being dodgy. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.