Co-term versus per-device

Solved
TEAM-ind
Getting noticed

Co-term versus per-device

I am currently co-term on licenses.  The only devices that are close to expiration are my MX appliances (have MS, MR, MT and MV as well).

I would like to just renew the MX licensing, but that is not an option with co-term.  I was wondering about the implications of switching to the per-device model.   Anyone with any recent experience with this?  

Also, I am noticing there does not appear to be an option within the Dashboard to switch to per-device, as this document states there should be:  Meraki Licensing - Cisco Meraki 

I know I used to see it there.  Was that removed?  

1 Accepted Solution
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Reach out to your Meraki AM.  They can show you what your licensing will look like should you switch.

PDL is extremely flexible.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I really recommend switching to the per-device licensing model, I did It a lot of times, and It's much better and flexible. Just a note.

NOTECustomers cannot change from the per-device licensing model back to the co-termination licensing model. The change is permanent and should only be done when users understand the differences and are sure it's the correct model for their organization.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Per-Device_Licensing_Overvi...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarkStar
Getting noticed

@TEAM-ind Note the licensing will not transfer the way you might think so you MUST keep this in mind before changing.

Example:

1 x MX64

2 x MX84

1 x MX85

1 x MS220

10 x MS250

1 MS350

You bought a 3 year license for the MX84 and the MS250s and have 2 years left and yesterday you bought a 5 year license for the MX85 and MS350. However your 3 year license for the MX64 and the MS220 are about to expire and you are ok with that because you are NOT going to re-new or continue using them.

What should happen is they all get their licenses with the time you bought but that is not what will happen. The license will go through an algorithm and be sort of divided up on everything you have. 

You will wind up with a lot of time on the MX64 and the MS220 that you don't need. 

Be very careful before doing this and mindful of what you need and have on the dashboard before changing.

-DarkStar

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Reach out to your Meraki AM.  They can show you what your licensing will look like should you switch.

PDL is extremely flexible.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, PDL conversion is now a gated/controlled process as noted here. I strongly advise you discuss the implications of moving to PDL with your Meraki Account Team.

If you're on Co-term today your Org has a single expiration date. If you convert to PDL each device will inherit this same expiration date as a starting point. The doc I linked has an example of this.

Your MS, MR, MV, and MT don't have a different expiration date from your MXs if you're on co-term now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.