Clients from Other Network Showing in Dashboard

TechB0SS
Here to help

Clients from Other Network Showing in Dashboard

I manage a network at a university. We have a main campus, and (3) remote campuses. In the Meraki dashboard, I have (1) organization for the university, with (4) networks for each campus. Each network has a MX Appliance, Switches, and Wireless. Each network has is using it's own unique DHCP, Addressing & VLANs, Firewall, wireless, and switch setup.

When I select a network, i.e., Campus A, I am seeing wired and wireless clients from the other networks, i.e., Campus B-D, in that dashboard. This is making it appear that there are more clients in the network than there actually are. For example, Campus A, is a remote site with only 20 users 60 physical devices, but in the dashboard it shows 4,500 clients. These are clients from ALL of the combined networks.

How do I configure the dashboard to only see clients in a particular network? Each network is currently set to combined, do I have to split the networks? Do I need to create a "organization" for each campus / network instead of creating a network for each campus? I just want to have an accurate view of clients at each campus. Please advise...

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance the clients are moving between the campuses?

If you add the "Connect To" and "Port" fields, and you choose client not local to the network you are looking at - where do they appear to be coming from?

Are the sites connected together via AutoVPN, or some kind of L2 network and you are using L3 routing to connect them (such as a L3 MS switch)?

I am certain that clients are not moving between campuses. Geographically, each campus is about 30-40 miles away. 

In addition to their own Internet circuit at each site, the sites also have a  layer 2 "Metro Ethernet" connection provided by the ISP provider so that each site can access internal resources. There is a MS switch at each site that the "metro ethernet" connects to that also has a trunk connection back to the Core switch in the main campus data center

Does any of your Meraki gear connect to any non-Meraki gear? If so, find the Meraki switch on your side that is making that connection and I believe if you have support disable 'uplink sampling' on that switch, it should fix the issue.

I had something similar where when I connect a Meraki switch to a Cisco switch, I see all the clients on the L2 VLANs being allowed across, on the Meraki side. Disabling uplink sampling fixed that for me.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Yes, with the exception of one campus, at each campus, the Meraki gear is connected to a Cisco switch or router. I will try to disable 'uplink sampling' and see if that solves the issue.

I am not seeing any settings "Disable uplink sampling", where can I find the settings to enable / disable?

You have to contact support and have them disable it for you

No clue why its not an option in the dashboard =(

There are many options we cannot see

TwitterLinkedIn

Also, it will take time for those clients to go away so you'll have to wait few days I believe
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@NolanHerring wrote:
Also, it will take time for those clients to go away so you'll have to wait few days I believe

Client data is kept for 30 days. Support may be able to remove clients before then but eh.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>the sites also have a  layer 2 "Metro Ethernet" connection provided by the ISP provider so that each site can access internal resources.

This will be it.  Most likely you are seeing some traffic from remote clients that:

* Is a broadcast

* Is a multicast

* Is a switch flood because the destination is unknown

You should find this traffic is only small quantities.  If you do a wireshark capture on it you should one it is only one way.

Mace
Here to help

This is very unusual. Are the Clients from your campus sites shown as wired? Is there a tunnel set up to one site?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.