Client Description field update

SOLVED
GlenM
Conversationalist

Client Description field update

Changes made to Client "description" field at the AP level don't seem to transfer to the Switch level Client "description" field. Do I need to make the changes separately to the both the client "description" field at the Switch and AP levels?  Or is there a way to force this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GlenM That is 100% the issue, combine them now, if you dont like it you can always separate them out again, I've done that many times with no ill effects.  It can reset the client history though so you may need to re-enter those descriptions... 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What if you search for the Client at the Network level? What do you see there? Can you amend and see if it follows through at both the switch and AP levels?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hmm  I was under the impression changing a client description changed it everywhere, I will have to test that. 

Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Is it 1 network or do you have seperated networks for ap's and switches?

Thanks - my switch and my APs are under two separate networks.  Maybe that is the source of the issue?  I was originally advised to set them up this way.  Maybe I should collapse into one network?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GlenM That is 100% the issue, combine them now, if you dont like it you can always separate them out again, I've done that many times with no ill effects.  It can reset the client history though so you may need to re-enter those descriptions... 

GlenM
Conversationalist

Thank you.  I used the Combine networks option under Organization / Overview in the dashboard menu and it has worked beautifully!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Excellent, glad to help a fellow Merakier 👍 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.