Can i change the network type for a template?

Solved
seanwickesser
New here

Can i change the network type for a template?

I have a template containing 30 or so networks that I need to add more to.

Some of these that are "combined" networks and not "appliance" networks I am unable to see in the list while binding.

While discussing this with my coworkers we noticed that this is the only template we have that has a network type of appliance instead of combined. I would like to try changing this template to a combined network type, but I can not find any documentation as to how to do it.

Do I have to create a new template all together and migrate both the existing bound network and the new networks to it?

Is there someway of changing the templates network type that I am just not seeing?

All help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Well , create a template of with the desired parts and combine it with your appliance template. It is the same process 

Create a combined template. Split it , remove the appliance part and combine with your 'old' appliance template. voila.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It should be just like any network. 

RaphaelL_0-1697035676494.png

Click on it. Split , remove the non desired parts. Re-combine. Enjoy.

Edit : Not sure if there is any impact at all. You might want to test it before.

Sorry I think I was a little confusing, I am trying to change an appliance template to a combined template.

I see the split option greyed out when selecting it, but I think what you are talking about would work going the other way.

Well , create a template of with the desired parts and combine it with your appliance template. It is the same process 

Create a combined template. Split it , remove the appliance part and combine with your 'old' appliance template. voila.

I will give that a shot, thanks!

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can.

When ready to combine networks, navigate to Organization > Overview and in the right-hand map legend, press the arrow button to expand. Check the boxes next to the networks you would like to combine into one and click the combine button:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Combined_Dashboar...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Here is the doc about templates.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

The template its self is what i am trying to combine, not the networks.
I can't select it in the overview menu.

I am reading the documentation you linked though thank you.

Simply access the template and bind to an additional network.

alemabrahao_0-1697036467225.png

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It sounds like the above posters got your question covered. But in case you need some visual aids or a walkthrough video I created this deck sometime ago https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fFjA-HCNB7KE03bUgCGINoNqVMVSumlF4Tjo-bUH9aE/edit?usp=sharing

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
seanwickesser
New here

I have a plan together, thanks to all who replied!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.