Adding MT Sensors to a Network Bound to a Template

SOLVED
MerakiJason
Here to help

Adding MT Sensors to a Network Bound to a Template

All of my networks are bound to a template. I recently got some MT sensors for a couple sites. meraki support told me to unbind the network from the template, add the sensor then bind it back to the template. I was able to complete the first 2 steps but it will not allow me to bind the network back to the template. I get an error stating "'Network X' cannot be bound to 'Template name Z' because they have incompatible network types.". Even if I remove the sensor and try to bind back I get the same error. Any ideas? Nothing from Meraki support. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

The problem with creating a new template by copying settings from an old one, is that it keeps the Network type from the original template. So, you cannot create a combined template, using a wireless one for the original settings.

What you need to to is

1. Create a new template with copying settings from your current template (let's say "wireless")
  2. Create a new template with default settings (which will be "combined" by default)
  3. Split the new combined template (will create an "appliance", "wireless" etc template"). 
  4. Delete the template type that matches the one created on step 1.
  5. Combine the rest of templates with the template created in step 1.

At least that's how I do it. Maybe there is an easier way (maybe support can change the template to combined?)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't recall the exact steps.

You need to create a new template that contains an MT,  and then combine that template with your current template.  Then your template will be of type "combined".

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Combined_Dashboar... 

THEN you need to change the network bound to it.  The process you have given below will work.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe the networks I’m working with are too small but Templates seem to cause more issues than seem to make them worthwhile?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The trick is when you first create a template is to make sure it is a "combined" template.  Then it will work with all device types.  I believe "combined" is the default for all new templates (so you don't need to do anything special now) if you use the "new" option, so it is only older installations that have this special grief.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

The problem with creating a new template by copying settings from an old one, is that it keeps the Network type from the original template. So, you cannot create a combined template, using a wireless one for the original settings.

What you need to to is

1. Create a new template with copying settings from your current template (let's say "wireless")
  2. Create a new template with default settings (which will be "combined" by default)
  3. Split the new combined template (will create an "appliance", "wireless" etc template"). 
  4. Delete the template type that matches the one created on step 1.
  5. Combine the rest of templates with the template created in step 1.

At least that's how I do it. Maybe there is an easier way (maybe support can change the template to combined?)

MerakiJason
Here to help

Thanks for all the replies so far. The Template is already set to Network Type combined and I'm still unable to add the site back, even if I remove the sensor from the network. I've got 2 cases open with Meraki support now and I'm being told different things, neither of which work. I'd tend to agree the Templates seem to be overly complicated but I have 30 sites so it makes it easy if I need to change wireless settings or make firewall changes. I'm in a pinch because for whatever reason, when you remove a Network from a template it does not keep all the attributes it inherited from the template so I have a site now that is impacted.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

I agree that templates are usefull. There are still things that are working on single networks (in my use cases), but not on templated ones.

I will try to do some tests on my lab later, to see if I can replicate this as well.

I guess some patience is needed since the sensors are kind of new.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

ok.

Did some tests.

Create a new network (wireless network type) and bind it to a combined network template.

I cannot add a sensor to the network -> "A bound combined network may only contain bound networks"

Create a new network (combined network type) and bind it to a combined network template.

I can add a sensor without problems.

Check the network type in the network list inside the template. If it is combined there as well, it should work (or it works on my machine only 😋 ). If not, create a new combined network, bind it to your template, and if you can add the sensor, transfer the rest of the equipment to the new network.

Thanks for your assistance! Your solution was what I ended up going with. 

MerakiJason
Here to help

Thanks for all the help and advice! In the end I had to do the following-

Organization>Create Network Templates

1-Create a new combined network Template named anything you want

2-Split the New Network Template I just created which then made 5 separate Appliance, Wireless, Switch, Cellular, Environmental templates appear

3-Delete Appliance and Wireless Templates (since I already had those attributes in my template)

4-Select Switch, Cellular, Environmental templates and the Existing Legacy Template

5-Select Combine Network Templates and use same name as used before. Save

The root issue was that the existing template was created before Environmental existed so it did not contain that attribute. I also went ahead and added Switch and Cellular just to have them in there if I ever need them.

Now all I do is unbind the network in question, assign the sensor then go back in and bind that network to the template again and it works.

ChaVyzPro
Here to help

Hi

Can I do step 5 during business hours ?  and do the combine of template without disconnect clients ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.