Learn more about your community peers in our Member Spotlight!

MeredithW
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

meraki-communities_spring-cleaning_2019 (1).png

It’s time for our September Member spotlight!

For our sixth Member Spotlight, we chose to recognize @RumorConsumer. Since joining, he has written 104 posts and received 17 kudos! We've really enjoyed learning about the lovely retreat center!

Congratulations!🏅 👏

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 4.13.47 PM.png

Tell us a little bit about your background.

I have been into technology since I was young and worked for Fortune 500 tech giant for about 6 years before moving on to pursue other interests. My taste for technical challenges started early in life and I have always been the person who gets called on to help if something doesn’t work. I love solving problems and bringing flow back where there isn’t any. I started managing a Meraki network at a retreat center where I now live and was initially quite averse to it. It seemed irritatingly finicky and generally unstable. I decided to start reading the manuals and discovered that some things hadn't been set up quite right and began straightening the network out. It now purrs like a kitty cat.

How does the community help you in your day-to-day work?

The community has been an invaluable resource. I have come to rely on the community for insights and experience from people who have had boots on the ground for lord knows how long. People like that with real world experience are priceless. @PhilipDAth, @BrechtSchamp, @BlakeRichardson, and @NolanHerring  have been simply incredible in terms of helping me understand how to make my network work as well as possible. These guys are my heroes. I often get a knowledgable response within an hour to many of my questions which is simply unheard of.

What’s your advice to folks looking to move to the next level in their Meraki / networking knowledge?

Keep reading the manuals. Keep asking. Search first, but ask as many questions as you have. You will be helping yourself and building the wealth of information and expertise we have here. Test it in real life. Buy hardware you don’t understand and use it, play with it, and if you don’t want to keep it return it. If it’s good you should want to keep it. 

What would you say to those who haven’t yet gotten involved with the community?

If you haven’t gotten involved in the community you are either: 

a) using a very simple network and don’t need help which is fine
b) probably not getting the most out of what you’ve got
c) have an elegant amazing network and are hoarding all your knowledge so get in here and share what you got! You only keep it by giving it away.

Thanks, @RumorConsumerWant to nominate one of your fellow community members for next month's spotlight? Submit your nomination here!

10 Comments
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Thanks @MeredithW !! It was an honor to be asked and I couldn't be more grateful for the community. Thank you all so much.

In case you are wondering, our retreat center is very tech friendly with a big dose of nature out in the Mendocino area. 250/250 fiber with Meraki galore, roaring rivers, mini cows, and 162 acres of gorgeous nature. We do weddings, corporate retreats, personal retreats, yoga retreats, workshops, family reunions, the works. Sleeps 100 people easily with a multi purpose room, many cabins and houses, and an on-site organic chef and cooking staff. PM if you're interested in knowing more. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

MINI COWS?

Add goats and alpacas and you've got the perfect spot.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

NIIICE!!! @RumorConsumer Smiley Very Happy

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

I’ll see your alpaca and raise you a goose.I’ll see your alpaca and raise you a goose.

A goat like this???A goat like this???

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Geese are terrifying cobra chickens but I am a big ol' fan of that goat. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal

Nice one @RumorConsumer  Is that an RFID tag around that goats neck haha, could be a handy method for keeping track of escaped animals?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Haha well truth be told whenever they get out they only go as far as the next available bush or food source which is never further than 15 feet 😂

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Congratz @RumorConsumer and thanks for the shoutout! 👏

Also, it sounds like we've found our location for a community retreat!

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

@BrechtSchamp that would be so cool!!! @MeredithW you hear that? Want to meet the mini cows? 

MeredithW
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Mini cows!?!? Sign me up!