Wi-Fi Antenna Radiation Patterns ( Polar Diagrams)

JPScolar
Here to help

Wi-Fi Antenna Radiation Patterns ( Polar Diagrams)

Hello, 

How to read/interpret  the Antenna Radiation Patterns in the Meraki Datasheets.  For instance,  Dipole MA-ANT-3-B5/6 has a Gain of  3 dbi (2.4Mhz and 5.7 dbi (5Mh).  The H-Radiation diagram shows a a circle (this is an omnichannel antenna) with a diameter of 10 dbi at all angles and all the inner circles have decreasing dbi.  How the '10' relates to the 3 and 5.7 Gain? I assume moving towards iiner circles represents loosing Gain.  Also . there is a Vertical scale to the left of the polar diagram called 'Normalized Gain' How does this relates to the Radiation/ Polar Diagram?

Thank you for your help. Polar Diagram.gif 

Juan-Carlos Perez
6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that it answers your question.

alemabrahao_0-1688730202639.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
JPScolar
Here to help

Can you elaborate a bit more?  I see the polar diagrams but how does that answer the questions I'm asking? 

Thanks. 

Juan-Carlos Perez

The image is kind of obvious, but let's go?

H-Plane is how the antenna radiates when it is horizontal.

V-Plane is how the antenna radiates when it is vertical.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hi Alemabrahao,  I understand the V and H plane perspectives and omnichannel vs directed patterns.  What I'm trying to understand is:

A) how the scale in the polar diagram co-rellates to the gain in the datasheet?  For instance, in this graph, on the H-plane I see a max gain of 10dbi  at any angle but the datasheet is saying a 3 dbi gain @ 2.4 Mhz. 

B) what the normalized scale on the left (vertical bar)  is telling me?  and how  does it correlates to the polar graph to the right? 

Can you help me with that?   Thanks. 

Juan-Carlos Perez

But then you want to get into radio frequency details. In this case there are many concepts to be understood, so I advise you to read some documents.

https://simplewifi.com/pages/antenna-basics

https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/br/doc/EDOC1000077015/cb29154d/antenna-gain

But in this case, I advise you to focus on what the datasheet informs, which in this case is that the maximum gain for 2.4Ghz is 3 dBi and 5Ghz is 5.7 dBi.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

The patterns aren’t super useful on their own. I’d use something like Hamina.com to test how it would actually work depending on the Tx level set. Hamina offers a free tier so you can check it out. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels