Whatsapp causing Issues to random users

UsmanSa
Here to help

Whatsapp causing Issues to random users

I have 3 SSIDs configured [ Staff, Student and Guest]. I have applied web filtering on Student and Guest SSIDs as below but Staff users are also facing issues on browsing and sending messaged on Whatsapp. There is no restriction on SSID Staff. Not all users but random users. 

UsmanSa_0-1712293811234.png

UsmanSa_1-1712293836147.png

10 Replies 10
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

With WhatsApp being owned by Facebook, it's likely the "Social Web & Photo sharing" rule that's causing the issue as one of the services in that group is Facebook. Try removing it.

We are experiencing the same issue on our organization. As mentioned by usmanSa there is NO RULES in place for the SSIDs we are testing with. We tried both Meraki DHCP NAT mode and also Local LAN DHCP mode and the issue is the same on both scenarios. messages don't get delivered, and both audio and video calls ring on both ends  but sessions cannot be established - status of the calls stay in the "Connecting" phase with no media flowing in either way. 

Provided this post was initiated a few months already, are there any plans from the Cisco Meraki team to resolve this problem? It is a big issue nowadays that Whatsapp is widely used.

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I use Meraki kit at home and I've never had an issue with WhatsApp, nor is there any Meraki-wide problem with using WhatsApp, every network is different.

I would advise checking your firewall settings and contacting Meraki Support should you continue to experience issues.

I use at home as well and noticing for Meraki NATted SSIDs it is blocking traffic - running some tests with an SSID with external DHCP and using a specific VLAN ID seems to be conflicting as well. Firewall wise thee is no much to check in a home router but compared to another wireless solution - including the same home router wireless service - I know Meraki is causing issues. I have engaged Meraki support for assistance but unfortunately their support is not as effective as Cisco TAC..I was hoping this post would bring Meraki expertise to the table as I don't think I am the only customer experiencing issues with this kind of traffic.

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki Support has visibility into your network and configuration so they're best placed to assist with specific incidents or issues.

If you DM me your case number I can take a look, but without sharing the troubleshooting steps you've taken or firewall/network configuration here, resolving the issue is a needle in a haystack. 

I have DM you the case as requested. If you need additional information about the case let me know and I can provide it all to you.

Seems I cannot reply to your last private message. We have 3 scenarios indeed:

No NAT used, no VLAN ID. WhatsApp seems to work fine on it.
No NAT used, VLAN ID in use. WhatsApp not working properly.
NAT used for Guest SSID. WhatsApp not working properly.

Waiting to hear back from engineer assigned...even though according to his reply NAT seems to be well known for causing issues with WhatsApp - not sure if you had the chance to read the case notes about this.

Case opened is not moving and the issue persists. Would it be possible to get your assistance in having my Meraki case escalated or transferred to someone that can actually assist?

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @LCHD, I recommend calling in if you require immediate assistance. I'll respond on the case for you now.

As per your response above, the issue appears to be related to your firewall and filtering or firewall rules on the configured VLAN are blocking Whatsapp.

LCHD
Just browsing

We are experiencing the same issue on our organization. As mentioned by usmanSa there is NO RULES in place for the SSIDs we are testing with. We tried both Meraki DHCP NAT mode and also Local LAN DHCP mode and the issue is the same on both scenarios. messages don't get delivered, and both audio and video calls ring on both ends  but sessions cannot be established - status of the calls stay in the "Connecting" phase with no media flowing in either way. 

Provided this post was initiated a few months already, are there any plans from the Cisco Meraki team to resolve this problem? It is a big issue nowadays that Whatsapp is widely used.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels