What is the max range of an MR86 with an MA-ANT-25 attached

John_W8
Comes here often

What is the max range of an MR86 with an MA-ANT-25 attached

Hi all, I'm trying to find the maximum range/distance that an MR86 with two MA-ANT-25 antennas can reach. I haven't' been able to find anything in the documentation. 

thanks,

19 Replies 19
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This will depend on many factors like the following:

1. regulatory domain
  2. channel
  3. transmit power (which is dependent on 1 and 2)
  4. client device
  5. the required signal on the receiver
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

6. height of the antenna installation
7. downangle of the antenna installation
8. what do you count as your cut off value

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

9. How crappy of a connection you are prepared to tolerate.  🙂

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

😂👆

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Are you looking to do a wireless bridge or serve clients? If it's serving clients... It's probably better to ask how far away can the clients reliably (and what does that mean for your specific use case) communicate. 

I'm just looking for an estimated max range. Just curious if there was a document out there I was missing.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This is very similar to asking ‘how long is a piece of string’.

In theory, there is no limit… 

But in reality, it's about the clients capabilities and how well you need them to work. The AP will always out perform your clients (because, bigger antennas)  

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Point-to-point links can work over many miles. Clients will always be the limiting factor. 

I know this.... I was just looking to see if there was a document out there stating the max range with this AP and antenna setup.... that is all...

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Go and sign up for a trial account at hamina.com - you'll be able to upload a map and mount a virtual AP with whatever antenna you like. 

Sounds like a cool tool, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

John_W8
Comes here often

Basically I have an MR86 with two MA-ANT-25 Setup on a Lighting Tripod as a portable Wi-Fi solution for an event to serve clients, and was just looking for an estimated range. I have a few setups like this, and while testing I was getting -60dBi at a range of 400ft without direct line of sight. This range fits the space, I was just curious if there was a max range documented out there. 

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Your issue is more likely going to be capacity planning, not signal strength. Event wifi is hard because of capacity. You don't want devices 400ft away connected to an AP!

I have four of the rigs setup at the corners of the space, so I have plenty of overhead for capacity of the event based on expected attendance. I was just curious what the max range of the setup would be. Because my testing made me curious.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

You could put 1 AP in a stadium and hear it in every seat. The issue with event wifi is actually reducing the cell sizes so that you don't have too many connected to 1 AP. 

That AP would have to have some strong antennas, which I know are out there.

I was literally just asking if anyone know of a documented range for a setup for this AP model and antenna to satisfy my curiosity.  

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

No, 1AP omni in the centre circle (football/soccer) turn up to 21 dBm can be heard by every seat in the Tottenham Hotspur stadium (I know because I tested it) - but we probably shouldn't talk about it here 😏 (Aruba). 

There isn’t a ‘max range’ for any AP/antenna combo documented because it relies on too many things. Each channel has a different max EIRP and every antenna a different pattern. That’s where something like Hamina is super helpful. They even have a great ‘client tool’ that will show you how a particular client will be connected at that distance (RSSI & data rate). 

This is effectively what the antenna patterns show in the data sheet. 

Sounds good 👍

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Perhaps the relevant information is that you lose around 87 dB at a distance of 100 meters.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels