Meraki AP users count

Matt_Wade
Comes here often

Meraki AP users count

Hey everyone this has been bugging me crazy. How can i know which Meraki AP is suitable for how many users ?

For example how can i know how much users is suitable for an MR 20 AP ?. any checklist or something will be usefull.

4 Replies 4
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This is a difficult question to answer…

• what clients (every client has different capabilities)
  • what applications are they using?
  • how many SSIDs do you have?
  • what density?
  • how many APs do you have (and therefore what channel widths are you using)?
  • what neighbouring networks are there (and therefore what interference)?

in short… there isn’t a set number of clients per AP model… there may be a maximum number of associations per AP model but that won’t give you usable Wi-Fi depending on your network requirements.

start with requirements first and then design your WLAN to meet those requirements.

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There's no hard and fast rule. It's all about airtime rather than client count.

There's technologies that theoretically maximize the amount of available airtime for clients (Eg. MIMO) but it may not always see real world benefits as much of it is clients based.

Finally, there's the amount of data a given client is trying to transmit and how frequently/infrequently they will be needing airtime to transmit/receive.

I've always really liked this video as a good explainer of some of the basic concepts and calculations: https://youtu.be/U31fQGCsmKk?si=rUHOU32H463jEEzj

All this boils down to, overspec or understand your requirements very clearly and engage a wireless professional.

Personally, for a typical office based working area, my rule of thumb is ~25 devices per AP.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Unless lots of them are doing video calls then I’d go closer to 15 per AP

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Andrew is excellent - Peter has done a good presentation on the opposite… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U31fQGCsmKk 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels