WARNING - DO NOT UPGRADE NETWORKS WITH CW9166I TO 31.1.5

Solved
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

WARNING - DO NOT UPGRADE NETWORKS WITH CW9166I TO 31.1.5

Upgrading a network with CW9166I APs in can lead to them needing to be replaced.

1 Accepted Solution
eva_santos
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello everyone - 31.1.5 was pulled out of an abundance of caution for stability reasons. The scope investigation is still ongoing. However, the workaround is to turn the radios off prior to attempting downgrade. If you are experiencing the issue and need help with the workaround, please call into support for assistance. 

-----

MOD NOTE: Marking this as the solution for increased visibility.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
TBHPTL
A model citizen

What additional info can you supply on this?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

😂🤣😂🤣 You broken your AP @cmr 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not one, but two! 🙃

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think they just pulled 31.1.5 

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just noticed it being pulled aswell. I was just about to schedule my 9166 to upgrade to it. 😅

I upgraded a customers (single) 9164 without problems though.

What made the 9166 break on R31.1.5 ?

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Interesting!

Upcoming scheduled maintenance

r31-1-5 was pulled from dashboard - moving APs back to r31-1-4

On October 6, 2024, between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM CEST, the firmware for the access points in the network "redacted - wireless" will be upgraded to MR 31.1.4. The access points will continue to serve clients while upgrading until rebooting into the new version, which takes about a minute.

This is a first.

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For me what happened is that when I upgraded the network to 31.1.5 the MR55, MR56 and CW9163Es all upgraded, but the CW9166I went into a bootloop where it was up for about a minute, a client could connect, but then it would crash and reboot.  I did a factory reset on the CW9166I and this allowed it to boot, but it broadcast the Meraki SSID and could not connect to the cloud servers.  The AP was replaced by RMA and the new one also bootlooped and never got the correct config.  I downgraded to 31.1.4, but although all the other APs behaved, the CW9166I continued to bootloop.  I downgraded to 30.7 and the same again.  Having reported this all to support, the release was pulled and I am waiting for them to decide if I should do a factory reset or get another RMA replacement...

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Fun stuff!

eva_santos
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello everyone - 31.1.5 was pulled out of an abundance of caution for stability reasons. The scope investigation is still ongoing. However, the workaround is to turn the radios off prior to attempting downgrade. If you are experiencing the issue and need help with the workaround, please call into support for assistance. 

-----

MOD NOTE: Marking this as the solution for increased visibility.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switched back to 31.1.4 but the CW9166 is Auto-negotiating at 100Mbps only since… 😑

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For me it is just offline after a couple of hours of bootloops, even a cold boot did nothing.  Looking like another RMA unless support can get to it as suggested above.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As the RMA replacement now doesn't connect the LAN port, or respond to the reset button, it looks like another replacement is due...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

31.1.5.1 is now out and should fix the issue on CW APs with 6GHz active outside of the US.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels