Some macOS devices connect to wifi, but have no internet connection

bbot
New here

Some macOS devices connect to wifi, but have no internet connection

MR42 and MR46 access points running firmware MR 30.7
Authentication set to WPA3 authentication.

We're seeing this about 1-2 times a day on a 65 device environment. The Mac will try to connect for 30+ seconds, then will show as connected, but with no internet connection. On most devices, it'll resolve itself after a few minutes.

Connecting to a guest network will work immediately. (Using WPA3 Transition mode)

Anyone else run into anything similar? 

3 Replies 3
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I ran into a similar situation with Macs but only a few users. Same settings you have only hidden network. When user goes from one campus and back to the other SSID connects but receives no internet access. I sometimes believe it has to do with the way WPA3 Transition mode works but will soon test that theory on a WPA2 network which in comparison I've seen another Meraki network with the same setup but the only difference is the encryption type on password. 

Enthusiast
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

FYI, might not be related but if you're running macOS Sequioa, there's a few issues with the built-in firewall. I get similar issues on my home network and usually have to toggle Wi-Fi off/on after my laptop wakes. 

https://techcrunch.com/2024/09/19/apples-new-macos-sequoia-update-is-breaking-some-cybersecurity-too...

Looking at the article, it says the firewall may block browsers from accessing the internet. 

My issue looks slightly different in that the entire device has no network connection.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels