Slow SplashAccess Page Load

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Slow SplashAccess Page Load

I'm trialing SplashAccess for a public wifi deployment but am finding that I'm getting really slow load times for both the splash page itself and for the user to be redirected after acknowledging terms and clicking continue on the splash page.

Timing wise it's about 15 seconds between successful wifi association and splash page actually loading. Then another 30 seconds to a minute between clicking continue on the splash page and completing the authorization/being redirected.

I know their servers are in the UK/US and I'm in AUS, but these load times are way too long.

Has anyone else used this integration and had a similar problem? I've been working with their support but so far they've not identified anything that would cause it, but also haven't confirmed whether this is an expected behaviour or not.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What version are you running?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Testing on MR 29.5.1

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a customer in New Zealand using them, and load times are around 2s.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We are using a splash page our guest Wifi and it works fine. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like it could be a DNS issue as well if you have an overloaded DNS server. If you run a trace route do you see anything odd?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looks like it's just a me problem 🤔

Traceroute looks fine - 6 hops, no more than about 30ms per hop, no loops etc.

I'm using Google DNS for the lookups.
I repealed all content filtering and firewall rules for the SSID/VLAN, set the walled garden to wildcards for TLD's such as .com .net .direct .us

I tested between wifi, server1 and server2 domain names.

I found that server1 was the fastest - I could sometimes get 3 second load times for the splash page while server2 was consistent >7s.

The worst part of the experience is that after clicking continue on the splash page, the button is greyed out for about 2 seconds, but then becomes clickable again. As a user, it feels like nothing is happening.
It's only after another 5 seconds that it then says you're being granted access and the redirect page is loading (which in itself takes about another 5 seconds).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels