SSIDs not being broadcast - dashboard will not show this error!

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

SSIDs not being broadcast - dashboard will not show this error!

We've been working on an issue with support where a certain SSID would not be broadcast. It was a teleworker VPN SSID. After much troubleshooting, it was determined that if a teleworker VPN has an intermittent connection with the concentrator, it will NOT broadcast the associated SSID. This is NOT displayed anywhere in the dashboard, either by UI or by any kind of error event entry. The only way to verify this behavior is with a packet capture to look at the beacon frames being broadcast (or lack thereof). Support applied a backend patch to address this particular issue (also not available via normal firmware updates).

However, we happened to have an employee staying at one of our locations and reporting that the guest WiFi network was not available. We looked at the AP in question, and it shows broadcasting. Upon doing a packet capture, we again noticed no beacons, just malformed packets. A reboot of the AP does not resolve the issue. This is not using a teleworker VPN, just the straight internal Meraki DHCP option.

If you've had users complaining about WiFi not showing up or weak signal and written it off as user error, you might want to do a packet capture to see if the SSID is actually transmitting, as the dashboard UI does not seem to reflect if it actually is. Pay particular attention if you are using a teleworker VPN/concentrator as well.

Take a look at the screenshots. One shows the correct operation - beacons being broadcast for all appropriate SSIDs. The second one shows no beacons, just bad packets. The second SSID shows in the dashboard as functioning normally, and there are no error logs or event logs we can ascertain.

Has anybody else seen this behavior? Running 30.5. The hotfix applied by support was to the MX, not the MR.beacons-bad.jpgbeacons-good.jpg

BHC Resorts IT Department
7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure the SSID is not configured to be hidden?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Hidden_SSIDs

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Positive. If you go to the BSSID details for the AP it shows it is being broadcast, but that MAC address of the broadcast will not show up in the packet capture.

I think it's best to contact support again.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes, we have an open case on it. Just wondering if anybody else had seen it, and as a warning to other users that may not have the ability to read packet captures in-house that there is an issue that the dashboard will not show.

Yes, if the MX is not reachable or rather if the tunnel from the MR to MX cannot be established the SSID won't be broadcast. Basically the data path is broken so even if the SSID was broadcast clients wouldn't get anywhere if there's no data path.

@Ryan_Miles correct, however this new issue is with an SSID using the Meraki DHCP option. No VPN tunnel. Also, there should be a dashboard UI that shows this, otherwise you'll think the SSID is fine. There's no errors or warnings present in the dashboard or event log.

I was addressing the teleworker/tunneled SSID scenario and what expected behavior is. The Meraki DHCP SSID issue is something different. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels