Problems with WiFi calling

Adrian4
A model citizen

Problems with WiFi calling

Hello,

I have been getting complaints about call quality when people use their mobile phones on "wifi calling".

We have multiple large factories where cell reception is poor so people rely on the wifi.

Annoyingly, I have done several walk around tests, thinking maybe it was AP handovers that caused the issues but I had multiple perfects calls wandering all over the area people say there is an issue.

I was reading this guide - Wireless VoIP QoS Best Practices - Cisco Meraki Documentation
and it says in traffic shaping to set all VoIP and video conf to DSCP 46 EF voice comms

I am currently using AF41 which I assumed was the highest priority low drop queue there was.  We don't use any other traffic shaping other than the defaults so i assume it doesn't really matter which priority queue is used but i just wanted to check.

Also, the guide suggests a separate SSID for mobiles - is this just to guarantee bandwidth? because I don't thank that is an issue currently and Id like to avoid an extra SSID if possible.

thanks,

1 Reply 1
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Wi-Fi calling relies on an IP-Sec tunnel from the handset to their carrier's network (See non-Cisco/Meraki link) so your QoS profiles won't actually influence it. IP-Sec doesn't like a blip in loss, which is likely what's happening as users roam.

Considering enabling 802.11r for smoother roaming and ensure you've had a site survey done to prevent any coverage gaps.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels