Mixed device network

Solved
AustinMcDonald
Conversationalist

Mixed device network

Am I able to have MR33s and MR36s on the same network with no issue?

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want to check, they will run on the same version.

MR Mixed Firmware Networks - Cisco Meraki Documentation

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it is.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want to check, they will run on the same version.

MR Mixed Firmware Networks - Cisco Meraki Documentation

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you get problems like with roaming or sticky clients you can disable the ax features.  You could for example have  clients prefer ax AP instead of roaming to the better ac AP.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Generally yes.   I think there have been odd occasions seen where some client devices make strange choices about which AP to associate with;   they may choose an 802.11ax AP, like an MR36, over an 802.11ac AP  (MR33) purely because that standard is newer & potentially offers higher max. connection rate - even though, for example, the MR33 may be five yards away and would offer a great service, while the MR36 is on the floor above, offering a poor one.  (association & romaing choices are down to clients)   Such instances can usually be corrected with updated drivers for the clients in question.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you can use a mixture of both indoor and outdoor models. Create the pick n mix that works for you. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can pretty much mix them all up.

One of our networks has the below models:

MR32

MR33

MR34

MR42

MR44

MR46E

MR52

CW9166I

Roaming around the site works well!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I love it!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will be less diverse shortly as the MR32s and 34s are on the way out, with more CW9166Is being installed 😎

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nice kit.  Have you noticed how heavy those CW9166I are compared to the MRs?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, especially when replacing MR52s and trying to reuse the three screws into the plasterboard ceiling that were fine for the MR52…  Not usable for a CW9166I!

Mind you, the CW9163E is even heavier, it feels like it is hewn from a solid billet of metal, lovely hardware!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels