Meraki Switch networking questions

Keith_Li
Comes here often

Meraki Switch networking questions

Dear All, 

I got a question on some networking issue on meraki switches setup,  below are the SSIDs that i use in one of the network profile in meraki dashboard, for switch port 7 & 8 i can specifically assigned with allowed vlan 113,213-214 rather than vlan all ? as previously i configured as vlan all, so for this time i want to put specific vlan rather than vlan all, is this look correct ?  any help would be appreicated 

ssid: Guest (vlan 103 IP segment 192.168.1.0/24)

ssid: John hardy (vlan 104 IP Segment 192.168.2.0/24) 

ssid: Internal (no vlan tag) 

port 1 - 6 configured as trunk native vlan 123  (so AP will be obtained IP 10.1.0.0/24) 

port 7      < connecting to internet circuit for ssid "Guest & John hardy" 

trunk

native vlan 1

allowed vlans 123,103-104

port 8       < connecting to SD WAN for ssid "Internal" with raduis 

trunk

native vlan 1

allowed vlans 123,103-104

meraki switches itself will be assigned with static IP 10.1.0.100 

Piaakit 

4 Replies 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

VLAN tagging is comma separated i.e. 2,4,6,8 and dashes for a range 2-8. You can do a mixture of both i.e. 2,4,6,8,100-110

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 4.12.05 PM.png

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Assuming the AP's are connected to port 7 and 8, then yes the config you have matches the tagging you're doing on the SSID's. The AP's (unless configured otherwise) will pick up IP's in VLAN 1 for their management connection.

One thing to be aware of is that by not VLAN tagging the "internal" SSID, any client connecting to it will use VLAN 1.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

actually AP are connecting to port 1 to 6 with trunk native vlan 123 with allowed vlan all

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You just can't do it as you should, whenever possible, the recommendation is that you only configure the VLANs that will actually be used on the Trunk port.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels