Meraki MR57 Flap due to activate 5Ghz

Solved
meraki-newbie
Getting noticed

Meraki MR57 Flap due to activate 5Ghz

Dear all

We have newly Meraki MR57 to be installed , these AP connect to MS125-48LP , but when we activate default profile with 2,4 & 5Ghz active all the APs Flap..

Then we create custom profile to activate only 2,4Ghz, all the AP running well and never flapping 

There are some note on our MS port mentioned Power Draw 15W(Requested 30W), could be this low power input will be the cause?

notes : we run the AP with 30.6 firmware version 

thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

finally it's solved, there are several way we did another test again using a single AP :

• We activating profile 2,4GHZ and then upgrade the MR 57 to 30.7 firmware 
  • After the upgrade process done, we wait for a while (around 15 minutes)
  • And then apply the basic indoor profile to allow 2,4 & 5GHz
  • After that we monitor the connection stability for 1 hour
  • And then we upgrade firmware another 31 MR57 AP
  • Currently after more than 12 hours, all MR57 Connection performed well, without any flapping happened again

Notes on the firmware 30.7 changelog mentioned the bug we have been facing for weeks

merakinewbie_0-1718154101150.png

cheers

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This switch is PoE+, have you validated whether the switch has not already reached its maximum POE capacity?

I also suggest that you open a support case.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

yep on the data sheet, MS125 48LP could have output power until 30W, is this common behaviour of the switch? due to there are no user connected to the AP right now

Yes, I know, actually what I want to know is whether the switch has not reached its maximum power supply capacity.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

By the way, the AP can reach up to 40W but this does not mean that it will be consuming this all the time, as it will vary according to the use of the AP. But the minimum it needs is 30W, so that could be the problem.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also check it. https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Overview_and_Specifications/MR57_Dual_Uplink_High_Availabilit...

We have already try to add another connection to the AP, another strange behaviour the MS125 48LP only draw the power 8-9W each ports

Maybe it's a switch problem, test on another switch if possible.

I suggest you contact Meraki support to see if it is an RMA case.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@meraki-newbie although a AP will advertise that it needs a certain amount of power from PoE, it is actually just a maximum.  It is quite normal for an AP without clients to only be drawing 8-9W.  We see the same with CW9166 APs and in fact, even with clients they often only draw 11-15W as shown here for an AP with all three bands active:

1000010376.jpg

well noted, but something strange as i mentioned above, when we use default indoor profile with 5Ghz activated, the AP rebooted after 30 minutes, it's happened frequently..

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What do you have the flex radio set to, 5 or 6 GHz?

I'd create a new basic indoor profile and assign that in case something has gone wrong with the existing.  I'd also upgrade to 30.7 or 31.1.1.

the flex radio set only available for 5GHz

do you mean create basic indoor profile to only allow 5GHz?

we have try upgrade to 31.1.1 but it didn't solved.. should we try the 30.7?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just a new one in case something is corrupt in the existing.

And yes, 30.7 is actually slightly newer so might have a fix that isn't in 31.1.1

we have already upgraded to 30.7, it still not solved.. the AP suddenly rebooted once 5GHz activate..

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How long are the cables from the switch to the APs?  If you connect an AP with a 1-2m patch lead does it also reboot?

yes, we try to unmount 1 AP that have been upgraded to 30.7 with 2m direct cable to poe switch but the AP still rebooted 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In which case I would now log a support ticket and put down all of the tests mentioned here so they know that the basics have already been covered.

Once logged, call them up about 5-10 minutes later and someone will get onto it straight away.

finally it's solved, there are several way we did another test again using a single AP :

• We activating profile 2,4GHZ and then upgrade the MR 57 to 30.7 firmware 
  • After the upgrade process done, we wait for a while (around 15 minutes)
  • And then apply the basic indoor profile to allow 2,4 & 5GHz
  • After that we monitor the connection stability for 1 hour
  • And then we upgrade firmware another 31 MR57 AP
  • Currently after more than 12 hours, all MR57 Connection performed well, without any flapping happened again

Notes on the firmware 30.7 changelog mentioned the bug we have been facing for weeks

merakinewbie_0-1718154101150.png

cheers

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@meraki-newbie please give kudos to the people who you felt helped you with upgrading to 30.7 to fix the issue.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

15W is normal for the mr57 that has booted

How many poe devices you have connected

we only use 5 unit of MR57 as installed today using poe from MS125LP

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you go into the Power tab of the switch you can see how much of the PoE budget has been consumed.

PhilipDAth_0-1718053313895.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels