Meraki AP Project

erhanevgin
Getting noticed

Meraki AP Project

Hello team.

We need your advise for above WI-FI project. 

Our customer wants to use Meraki AP for their environment. You can find the floor plan below. Also, there will be max concurrent 200 user that connected the WIFI. Most of the users are software developers. Others  are standard office workers. They will not stream any  type of videos and they do not share or download  big size file over the WIFI Network .  How many AP do we need  or can you advise how can we start the project with the right Meraki AP models. 

Thank you 

floor plan.jpg    

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is recommended to consider 30 clients per AP, but in your case, you can consider 60 clients per AP, that is, between 3 and 4 APs. But the best thing would be to carry out a site survey to evaluate the wireless spectrum on site, it would be more accurate.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are a Cisco partner, you can perform a predictive site survey with Yagna:

https://www.yagnaiq.com/solutions/wifi-planner/

I suggest you invest in site survey software, like Ekahau.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hamina is less money and is a very powerful web based predictive design tool.
www.hamina.com

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I know that It's not a High-density environment but this document can help you.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I'm thinking something along the lines of, without knowing exactly what "6" is.

ap-placements.png

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

@rhbirkelund

I think that's a lot of APs in my opinion, it would make more sense if it was a high-density environment.

It would be ideal to know the scale of the floor plan.

In the large area in the bottom left, there's what seems to be about 88 seating places for according to the OP may be software developers. This seems to be a rather large open space, with many devices. Assuming each person has 1 WiFi enabled device only, we'll be looking at about 11 devices per AP. So there might be a lot of air traffic going on.

Then there are meeting rooms; a rule of thumb is to always put the AP where the WiFi is needed. In meeting rooms, you'll alway want to be close to an AP. One is placed in the middle of three meetings rooms with 4 others supporting the surrounding area, which - from the looks of it - seems to be a form of recreational area.

In the area at the top, the topology will also support roaming between corridors, as you will always want to place an AP at corners. That way, as you walk towards a corner your wireless device will have roamed to an AP that is visible down two corridors.

Now, the unknown part here is the large area to the right with the number "6". I can't see what the drawing says, so I'm assuming it's some large open space - perhaps an lunch area or storage. Thus the single AP.

Above "6" there also seems to be a wider corridor with meeting rooms next to. AP's are place again considering roaming along corridors, as well as ensuring coverage for the meeting rooms at the bottom right (under "6").

Perhaps, the two left most APs in the bottom row could be left out.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I'm sorry but I still think an exaggerated amount of APs, in my opinion, and experience would be better to do a site survey (even predictive).

WB
Building a reputation

Eyeballing it from a floor plan is one rung up from chucking them anywhere and hoping for the best. You should look in to getting at least a predictive wireless survey done which can at least take the requirements and variables (such as wall materials/glass/etc..) and generate a 'proposed' deployment

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels