MR86 w/MA-ANT-25 range

CWMARS
Getting noticed

MR86 w/MA-ANT-25 range

I have an issue with a historical building that needs outdoor wireless coverage.  We cannot hang the MR86 on the outside of the building due to its historical architecture.  Can an MR86 mounted on a wall inside of the building with (2) MA-ANT-25 pointing out get coverage through a brick exterior?  I haven't been onsite to test but wondered if it is worth trying.

Anne Savoie
3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is a not that uncommon approach in this situation. Sadly, this is not easily simulated because of the different walls types of historic buildings (and you never know what is really inside the wall).

IMO, testing and measuring it is the only way to go here.

Silentshooter
Here to help

You would have to test, Since you say its brick, they could have a wire mesh in the wall and that could drastically reduce signal.  Also when the building is wet the brick will absorb moisture and also decrease signal in the 2.4ghz band.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Definitely worth a try, how far outside of the building are you wanting coverage?  10m should be quite easy, more maybe not so much depending on the wall construction.  I have a house with some double skin brick walls internally and I get a usable signal 5m past them from a CW9166 that is 7m inside them (and through another single skin brick wall)... 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels