MR76 & MA0ANT-25 or 27- Wireless Coverage for Outdoor Pool Area

Alex30
New here

MR76 & MA0ANT-25 or 27- Wireless Coverage for Outdoor Pool Area

Hi everyone, 

Looking for input on a project we are trying to roll out for an apartment complex outdoor pool area. The area is approximately 250ft x 80ft. We're thinking of using an MR76 and MA-ANT-25 (or 27) antennas aiming directly across the area, but we're not sure if it will provide enough wireless coverage for the area. I've included a picture of the area and where we plan on installing the WAP. Any input would be appreciated. Pool Area Wireless Coverage.pngimage.png

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that before thinking about the antenna you should do a site survey to determine the number of APs needed to cover this area.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Alex30
New here

Yes, we are considering a predictive survey and test the location for interference since we have no wireless coverage in that area now. 

TBHPTL
A model citizen

There is no such thing as a predictive survey, only predicative designs. If you are going to test for interference take the extra 1 hour to actually put an AP on a stick. The WiFi Gods will thank you.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will need at least one at each end with directional antennas, one definitely won't lead to a good experience.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As a rough guide, I try to have an AP cover a radius of 20m for a good result.  So if I was looking at this for indicative pricing, I would tell the client you can get an "ok" result with 2 x APs (most areas covered well but expect some areas where it won't operate so good), or a great result with 3 x APs (saturation coverage).

Because of the cost of a site survey and because of the small area - it is going to be most economic to just put in more APs.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also - trees soak up WiFi, especially when wet (such as after rain).  This will affect where the APs can be placed to cover most of the pool area.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

As others have said do an onsite survey anyone can do a  predictive model but its only as good as the information you feed it and you still need to actually test it out.

Here is  an American football field with  ZERO obstructions. I can cover the field reasonably well with 2 MR76's with MR27 Ants on 5 GHZ at 40MHz wide.  The APs are pole or wall mounted @20ft with a 15 degree down tilt. You should really be trying to design this with 6 GHz in mind and actually ask your client what they want and where they want it and design around that. IMO you don't need coverage 80ft wide you want it specifically in the areas where people and devices will be... The pavement the grill and lounge areas... Software will help you make decision and  but nothing beats boots on the ground and an AP on a stick. The software cant simulate the actual environment....

TBHPTL_2-1716421432625.png

TBHPTL_3-1716421455684.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels