MR46E detecting wrong Antenna type

glydeen
Comes here often

MR46E detecting wrong Antenna type

I am having some issues with my MR46E devices in a warehouse setting. Each device is equipped with the Narrow Patch (MA-ANT-3-F6) antenna, but I have noticed that all of them are auto-detecting the Wide Patch (MA-ANT-3-E6) antenna. Despite my attempts to manually change the settings, the Dashboard indicates that the devices are auto-configured. I have already sought assistance from Meraki support, but they have not been able to provide any solution. For your reference, my devices are running on firmware MR 29.7.1.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before in their installations or have any other solutions to offer?

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you opened a support case?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I have opened a case. My firmware is 30.1 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you have photos of one of these installed APs and antenna?

Sorry for the late reply.

A ticket has been opened with the original order number of the Antenna and APs.

I discovered a crude workaround that worked on one unit, but due to the time and service disruption, I have decided to wait for a fix. I have left the others untouched.

The "fix" involved unclaiming the device, factory resetting, re-claiming, configuring, manually setting the antenna, and placing the AP back in service. This resulted in about an hour of work on a lift and in the IT workroom to make necessary changes. My company prohibits electronic devices on scissor lifts which added time.

Model NumberModel NumberInstallationInstallation

SteveLandon
Here to help

I also have this problem. MR46e dispole antenna being detected as large patch antenna. We do not have the large patch antennas at this network. I have verified that the correct stubby dipole is on the MR.

SteveLandon
Here to help

I have had a case open with Meraki for a while and they have not been able to solved the issue. I continue to see "Large Patch Antenna" for stubby dipole.

I opened a support ticket but haven't received an update in 5 days. As of now, there's no fix.

SteveLandon
Here to help

Meraki closed the case automatically with no other proposal for a fix. Hopefully the next firmware update might fix the issue. Like glydeen, a proposed fix was labor intensive with time on a scissor lift. I have 2 MR42e in one network with this same problem but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. We have chosen to wait and if I am performing other work there, I'll just replace the units with spares.

I eventually brought in my Meraki sales representative.

In my situation, Meraki believes the antenna is at fault, indicating to the AP the wrong antenna model. They intend to replace all 20 of the F6 antennas. I will hold off on forming an opinion until I try this solution, but I'll defer to their expertise for now.

I expect these replacements to arrive in a couple of weeks, and I will provide an update on the status after testing and installation.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels