MR46 mgmt vlan issue / native vlan

mqontt
New here

MR46 mgmt vlan issue / native vlan

Hey guys

i have few meraki APs connected to meraki switch . 

We have 3 separate vlans at the site  (guest,corp,mgmt), i'm trunking all these 3 VLANS towards the AP, mgmt vlan is set as native

Meraki APs are able to get the IP from the mgmt subnet (via DHCP), however they are always complaining about "DHCP failure on management VLAN"

i mean why the heck ?

im guessing the AP mgmt traffic should be  untagged, and having the switchport set the native vlan to mgmt vlan should work fine.

What am i missing ?

Another strange thing i noticed is that it doesnt give me any info about clients (the loading logo loads continuously), and im not able to change any LAN IP settings (the "pencil" button is not there), so there is no way to change L3 settings of the AP (or check the L2/vlan configuration)

image.png

Im really out of ideas, im thinking that there might be some vlan mismatch on the AP for the mgmt traffic.

Is there any way to remediate this, or is it best to just factory reset the APs?

6 Replies 6
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Have you maybe set the management VLAN in the static config of the AP?    If you do this, the AP will send that traffic 802.1Q tagged.  If you intend to run your management on the native VLAN for the connected switchport, leave the VLAN ID blank in the AP config

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Have you maybe set the management VLAN in the static config of the AP?

Just to add to @GreenMan , if you do this, then you can not make this the native VLAN on the switch.

understood,

i just tried to set the one port towards the ap as trunk with native just being some bogus vlan, and trunking mgmt,guest,corp vlans.

anyway, still have the VLAN error on the AP, and still im not able to change any LAN IP  settings:

mqontt_0-1692912631558.png

mqontt
New here

customer just moved the APs from the firewall to the switch, and frankly i didnt check it at first.

However i cant access any MGMT VLAN settings on the AP, since there is no "pencil" icon in the LAN IP config 🙂 as per previous screen.

i'll probably just try to set it as an access port with MGMT VLAN as an access VLAN and see if this helps 🙂

thanks!

mqontt
New here

after changing the native vlan to some bogus vlan that is not even used i was able to clear the "VLAN" alarm from the APs.

However i still cant do any changes on the AP  IP config (DHCP,VLAN etc.) cause the edit pencil is just missing. Not sure why though 😄

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As long as your AP is in meshing state you won't be able to edit the IP address.

First make sure your mgmt VLAN is fully available on your switch hosting the AP's.  Maybe do a MAC table lookup on the switch and check if you have the MX MAC on the MGMT VLAN.

Then make sure your AP ports have native vlan management AND list that management vlan in the allow list.
If your AP has some pre config that gets in the way just fact default the AP if you can reach it 😉

Finally make sure you have some DHCP scope in your AP mgmt VLAN so your AP can get to the cloud to receive it's configured static IP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels