MR36 warehouse coverage issues

Solved
jmorphew
Getting noticed

MR36 warehouse coverage issues

We are using MR36 access points in our warehouse and experiencing low or no coverage in some areas.  Our ceiling height is 32 feet and we have floor to ceiling high density racking.  The access points are mounted at ceiling height in the rows between racking.  We are already working with Meraki support and a vendor to adjust some settings.  My question is about the model of access point we selected.  Was it the appropriate model or should we have gone with external antennas?  Is there a max mounting height listed for each model?  I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR36 has a coverage pattern where most of the signal goes sideways, and a bit up and down.  Perfect for mounting in offices on the roof where it spreads out sideways along the floor, but doesn't waste energy trying to punch through the floor or go up into the roof.

Depending on how long the warehouse rows are, sometimes you can put access points at the ends of the rows and use a directional antenna to pump the coverage down.  This works great if you mostly want WiFi at ground'ish level (such as in the cab of a forklift or humans walking around).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Just speaking generally, that is pretty high to mount an AP without a directional antenna for effective use in warehouse isles.  I imagine a lot of the signal is above where the clients are and is also being refracted by the shelves.  External antennas are often used in warehouses, but not always needed.  I have had good results with external patch antennas aiming down alternating isles from walls on each end.

Have you thought about getting someone to come onsite to do a proper survey?  If you don't do that you are just guessing and doing a lot of trial and error to hopefully to get things working satisfactorily..

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There's not a strict right or wrong height. It always depends on the deployment and environment. However, we do have general guidance on mounting height in this doc.

jmorphew
Getting noticed

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, we have vendor onsite completing our second site survey.  The first one was completed before our racks were full.  I have a new deployment coming up in the next 2-3 months for a very similar warehouse.  If we chose the wrong access points, I don't want to repeat the mistake in the new warehouse.  Our vendor stands firm in their selection of the MR36 and I'm assuming they will recommend the same setup for the next deployment.

Thanks for the article.  It would suggest we should not be using the MR36, and we should be using external or wall mounted access points.  Does that sound right?

Under 8 feet – integrated omni antennas
8-25 feet - external downtilt omni antennas
Over 25 feet – wall mount

In nearly every warehouse deployment I have in my region E series APs have been used

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR36 has a coverage pattern where most of the signal goes sideways, and a bit up and down.  Perfect for mounting in offices on the roof where it spreads out sideways along the floor, but doesn't waste energy trying to punch through the floor or go up into the roof.

Depending on how long the warehouse rows are, sometimes you can put access points at the ends of the rows and use a directional antenna to pump the coverage down.  This works great if you mostly want WiFi at ground'ish level (such as in the cab of a forklift or humans walking around).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels