MR30H on POE Passthough to Bittel

KevinUK
Here to help

MR30H on POE Passthough to Bittel

Hello All

I have just finished deploying Meraki AP's through one of our Hotels one of the aims was to move away from analogue phone system and deploy VOIP in room phones.

We have opted for a Jacob Jensen handset that would connect to a POE Bittel repeater that would act as DECT between the handset the repeater. 

The Bittel repeater works fine VLAN on on VOIP and the device boots obtains IP form the Mitel phone system when plugged directly into any of our Meraki switches, however as soon as it is plugged into the MR30H the device boots but doesn't obtain IP (shows as connected but with 0.0.0.0 IP address). 

POE usage shows as well below the maximums
Plug a standard IP desk phone into the MR30H and it works fine

Packet capture does nothing different from what is being seen.

Support from both Meraki and our phone provider and external IT support provider have done packet captures, troubleshooting, different configs but still no closer to sussing the problem. Support from Bittel is limited but working on that.

Hardware in use:
MR30H
MS225-48FP
Bittel bt6570 (Repeater base unit)
Jacob Jensen IP20 (sold with the Bittel repeater)

I am reaching out to the community to see if there is anyone experiencing similar issues or experiences with Bittel hardware on Meraki equipment. Or if there is anyone using a similar technology that will allow me to do the above?

Questions or suggestions much appreciated

6 Replies 6
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

If you plug a Laptop into the MR30H does it then obtain an IP address?

I don't know about the Bittel Repeater, but I did have a customer job once, who also used the Jacob Jensen phone. If memory serves me right, we had it cabled directly to a switch port, and had to set some DHCP options for it to work. Unfortunately I don't remember the DHCP options.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Laptop or any other desk phone seems to work fine its just this Bittel repeater that seems to struggle but only when plugged into the MR30H

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try doing a packet capture.  See if you can see it sending out DHCP requests, and see if you see replies coming back.  You might get lucky and see some kind of error happening.

@PhilipDAth , I've been troubleshooting this issue with Kevin so I can answer your question...

When the Bittel device is hardwired to the AP from its WAN ethernet port, we expect to see DHCP request but see no traffic, packet capture shows nothing with WAN interface MAC address. Instead, we tempoarily see traffic from the "LAN" interface MAC address, which to my understanding is used for connection from handsets to the repeater but don't quote me on that. In packet capture, we see IPV6 traffic but it stops after 1-2 minutes, nothing to show again unless you powercycle the repeater.

MR30H has a wired voice lan port profile set already.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you plug the Bittel in the switch and it works - does it negotiate 1000/full or some other setting?

So it connects only at 100mb we see it go for a 0.0.0.0 IP that then disappears and when we click into look at the client it shows the below:

IPv4 address: 
IPv6 address (link-local):fe80:0:0:0:f207:86ff:fe18:86c0
MAC address:f0:07:86:18:86:c0
VLAN:20 — Voice
Port forwarding:none
1:1 NAT IPs:none
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels