MR Advanced licenses - Use Cases

Solved
Marcus
Conversationalist

MR Advanced licenses - Use Cases

Hello,

I'd like to know about the scenarios that I get to offer Meraki MR with Umbrella. What sort of environment can I use Umbrella in WLAN?

Anybody could help me, please?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution
Sander
Here to help

Hi Marcus, it all really depends if you already have Umbrella subscription for users/devices, or you just want to add DNS security to your Meraki LAN/wifi without that. If you do not have Umbrella, then easiest way is to use automatic integration with an advanced license on the MX (you then can DNS filter Wired and Wireless). Advanced on the MR when you do not have an MX, and want auto connection DNS Umbrella, or Enterprise on the MR if you have Umbrella subscription and you are ok with manual connecting Meraki to Umbrella policies.

Thing I noticed when you use only DNS filtering on categories on a MX, the block message of traffic is logged based on IP of the Access Point, so you do not see what client it is (on Guest SSID with Meraki NAT). But yeah that are guest devices so what are you going to do 😉

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check this out 
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Manually_Integrating_... 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Sander
Here to help

Hi Marcus, it all really depends if you already have Umbrella subscription for users/devices, or you just want to add DNS security to your Meraki LAN/wifi without that. If you do not have Umbrella, then easiest way is to use automatic integration with an advanced license on the MX (you then can DNS filter Wired and Wireless). Advanced on the MR when you do not have an MX, and want auto connection DNS Umbrella, or Enterprise on the MR if you have Umbrella subscription and you are ok with manual connecting Meraki to Umbrella policies.

Thing I noticed when you use only DNS filtering on categories on a MX, the block message of traffic is logged based on IP of the Access Point, so you do not see what client it is (on Guest SSID with Meraki NAT). But yeah that are guest devices so what are you going to do 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels