Low Internet Speeds On MR42

Riser
Getting noticed

Low Internet Speeds On MR42

Helo,

We are having an issue with our internet speeds and will appreciate your suggestions.

The ISP provides 300 Mbps, which we actively get when connected directly to their router's SSID.

The MX64 throughput shows 163 Mbps.

The MR42 throughput shows 27 Mbps - 29 Mbps (speed test goes down to 15 Mbps on pcs/laptops)

We do not have any traffic shaping on this network. Does anyone have a suggestion on what could be happening?

Thank you.

14 Replies 14
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the Client data rate statistic?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I will appreciate if you can guide me on how to check this and revert back.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Details_Page...

alemabrahao_0-1698698497383.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1. What is the client devices signal like and TX rate? 

2. Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? 

3. Is there a lot of other wifi networks in the area?

4. Are the devices using the latest wifi drivers? 

MX64 is working at it's maximum throughput, you will never be able to use the full 300Mbps using a MX64 as the max stateful throughput is 250Mbps yet it you have multiple clients then that speed is shared amongst them all so what you are seeing is probably accurate. 

Hi Blake.

For the test, I'm using the same client with nobody else connected to the networks.

When connected to the SSID that comes from the ISP's router, I get 300 Mbps, but it drops down when I connect through the MX/MR.

We only have 2 WiFi networks and no other WiFi networks around.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To clarify, does the MX sit behind the ISP router?
If so, are you able to remove the ISP router and connect the MX directly to the ISP handoff?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let's forget WiFi for the moment.

If you plug directly into the MX64 with an Ethernet cable, what do you get?  Is this the 163Mbps you mention?

No. This is the dashboard throughput. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is not an accurate tool.  What do you get when you plug a notebook directly into the MX?

I get different ranges. Between 83 Mbps to 128 Mbps when connected directly to the MX.

Is that using something like speedtest.net

Yes sure.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's a good way to troubleshoot client speed issues.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_Cl...

Let me check this out.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels