License charge for access point reaching EOL

MBW
New here

License charge for access point reaching EOL

Licenses for my access points need to be renewed in November but the access points will reach end of life next July. Will I still need to pay for a full year license?

7 Replies 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The AP licenses are independent of the AP model. You can use your license with the model you have (even after EOS) or just replace the current AP with a newer model. The license won't change.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Bear in mind that End of Life doesn't mean it will stop working.  After that point though, the level of support you'll get on such a device will be fairly significantly decreased;   it wouldn't be replaced under warranty, if it failed,   Meraki Support would max. provide best efforts assistance with it,  and there's no guarantee of any fixes in firmware - e.g. for bugs and/or security issues.    As Karsten pointed out though, AP licences are not model specific, so most customers simply take the old one off the wall and buy a newer model in its place and nothing is else needed, until that license itself needs renewing.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Personally, I would get new APs with your new licences.

APs have evolved so much.  I'm guessing you must still be using WiFi5.  You are missing out on a lot.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Although I am eagerly waiting for the upcoming Wi-Fi 7 APs, I really think that roughly 90% of companies could still run Wi-Fi 4 and they would be ok with that ... 😎 Yes, not the Wi-Fi first companies, but many others.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can't even deploy WiFi 6E into general production because of compatibility issues, especially with IoT devices.

I'm not feeling very hopefully for WiFi 7 ...

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

All my (and customers') IoT stuff is kept on a 2.4/5 GHz only SSID. 6GHz is only for the Corp WLAN and, depending on the customer, these WLANs already have around 40 to 70% of all corporate clients on 6 GHz (typical Office Environments). And with the iPhone16 having Wi-Fi7, I see an upcoming demand for these APs. But likely most will stay with CW916x as I expect that the early Wi-Fi 7 APs will be more high-end devices and be really expensive.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would really prefer to have to just have one system ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels