IPAD DOES NOT HIDE MY SSID

CARLOS11
New here

IPAD DOES NOT HIDE MY SSID

I HAVE AN IPAD FOR THE SELLERS IN MY STORE, I CREATE A HIDDEN SSID FOR THEM TO CONNECT BUT EVERY THEY ADD IT THEY LOG IN WITHOUT PROBLEM, THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN IT IS TURNED OFF AND ON AGAIN IT NO LONGER CONNECTS AUTOMATICALLY AND I HAVE TO ADD EVERYONE AGAIN THE SSID DATA AGAIN. IT SEEMS LIKE IT DIDN'T REGISTER THE SSID. ANY SOLUTION.

6 Replies 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CARLOS11  I am assuming you are using a SSID with a PSK (pre shared key) and not a splash page, in which case you need to tick the auto join option under the SSID settings on the iPad. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @CARLOS11 , there’s no advantage to be gained by hiding your SSID. This shouldn’t be a method to try to secure your network.  You’d be better placed advertising the SSID and then securing using a strong auth key

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This is the way! If anything hiding your SSID makes if difficult for all involved as there are rules on DFS channels that can make discovery of the SSID hard for devices. 

My only exception to a hidden SSID is a 2.4 GHz only SSID for things like IoT devices that require 2.4 GHz only. 

Unhide the SSID and call it something obscure that starts with a ‘z’ (so it’s at the bottom of the list). 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button

Definitely not, there are better ways to secure the wireless network, simply hiding it creates a false sense of security.

Sorry, but I really have to disagree with you on this one.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

The only reason for hiding a 2.4 GHz network is just so that it doesn’t show up on other devices. Nothing to do with security. There are however many technical problems with using a hidden SSID in 5 GHz. This was my point. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see this as a Meraki problem, since the configuration is saved on the device. What I suggest is keeping your IPAD updated. You can also try check the Auto-Join setting or reset network setting on the IPAD.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels