IOS text message Attachments

Djarz
Here to help

IOS text message Attachments

I recently installed an MX-75, MR46 & 9164 in my home. I am noticing that IOS text message attachments are are not being sent and received. If we switch to cell, they work just fine. The firewall is at the default and amp is turned off. The IOS devices are not managed either. Any thoughts?

14 Replies 14
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the content filtering enabled?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Content filtering is off

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about the text messages you receive via your cell phone provider? It doesn't make sense since what is filtered is network traffic.

Can you explain in a little more detail?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

You bet, IOS (imessage) is working, but the attachments will not download. If we get all IOS devices off the wifi and onto cell, it works. I just moved IDS to mode "detection" for testing. AMP is all. Firewall is default

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I found this discussion, but I personally still don't see the point.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Is-my-MX-blocking-iOS-messages-with-media/m-p/39656

Yes, I saw this article as well. The point is that something within the iOS text message attachments.  I agree with this article. I think it’s a port that’s being blocked somehow for iCloud back up. Attachments are stored in an iCloud first and then forward 

Kolt601
Conversationalist

We have the same problem with managed or unmanaged iOS devices.  The MR Layer7 firewall rule for denying 'online backup', iCloud is part of that. Access to iCloud is what is breaking text messages (iMessage) that contains pictures or a video.

Kolt601_0-1714408355716.png

Perfect let me take a look at this.  

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's what the discussion I sent says, I don't think you read it. LOL

Oh, I read the discussion. It just didn’t have much detail. Maybe I didn’t dig into the thread far enough to find it, but the last poster had some screenshots.

I looked and there are no Layer 7 rules in play. I did move intrusion detection from prevention to detection. So far, so good. I am still testing 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Given everything is set as default i would open a support ticket.

But also run a packet capture and see if you can see anything that looks out of place. 

What are you using for DNS? Maybe try Google 8.8.8.8 and rule out DNS.

Yeah If it keeps happening, I will open a ticket. DNS is 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

hmm, I removed 1.1.1.1 and did some research, seems Cloudflare may be messing with it too. I will keep testing. thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels