Google Chrome Cast Not Casting via Meraki Network SSIDs

UsmanSa
Here to help

Google Chrome Cast Not Casting via Meraki Network SSIDs

Hello 
I am trying to cast my laptop but it does not work. My scenario is that it is a school network. 

I have 2 SSIDs configured. 1 is splash page authenticated and the other is password protected. I have connected to both SSIDs but still I am not able to cast my laptop even when both are connected to same SSID. It says 'no device found'. 
I tried casting using my mobile hotspot and it worked perfectly. Is there any setting that needs to be done in Meraki?

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ssid should be configured bridge mode.

Both devices need to be in the same vlan. The traffic should be allowed in the MR ssid firewall  and layer2 isolation need to be disabled

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless/Chromecast-printing-not-working-over-Meraki-Wireless/m-p/23...

UsmanSa
Here to help

L-2 Isolation is disabled. Both devices are connected to same SSID as shown below. Its all in same VLAN. Can you clarify on below.

The traffic should be allowed in the MR ssid firewall

UsmanSa_0-1719470715043.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
UsmanSa
Here to help

No nothing like that. I am able to ping Chromecast from my laptop but not able to discover it. I had a call with Cisco TAC as well, they need some packet capture using a MAC book. Currently no luck

ntuccillo
Here to help

Usman,

I had this exact same issue with Chromecast. Meraki is a little odd with it. What we ended up doing was set up an SSID specifically for Chromecast. We have the SSID running in Bridge Mode. We had to make sure in Wireless -> Firewall & Traffic Shaping to allow anything on Local LAN. After that, our devices were able to communicate with Chromecast and cast to it. I know you mentioned that it had nothing to do with wireless firewall but make sure to double check the SSID because Local LAN is denied by default. You have to change it to allow.

Let me know how you do.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels