Get reports of Sponsored WiFi access

Solved
JordanCN
Here to help

Get reports of Sponsored WiFi access

Is there a way to get a report of all the active sponsored wireless devices and who sponsored them? 

We have an SSID with Sponsored access for guests.  The SSID has no LAN access and uses Meraki DHCP and the guest can request upto a couple of weeks of access.

We also setup a second SSID for the employees to add their personal mobile devices.  Basically the same setup, but the employee gets 6 weeks automatically.  They just enter their own email as the requestor and approver.  This network also has not LAN access and we also throttle the bandwidth and content filter.

Currently I have to go to each device and check the settings to see who sponsored the device, but it would be great if I could either run a full report of the devices.  Even better would be a weekly email of all sponsored devices.

1 Accepted Solution

I understand that you’re looking for a way to generate a report of the active sponsored devices, including details such as who approved them, when they were approved, how long they have left, and which SSID they are connected to. While the Meraki dashboard provides various monitoring and reporting features, it may not offer a direct report for sponsored guest access with all the details you’re looking for.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To generate a report of all active sponsored wireless devices and their sponsors on your Meraki network, you can utilize the Sponsored Guest Login feature. This feature allows network administrators to specify an email domain that guests must request access from to reach the wireless network. When a guest user connects to the SSID, they will be brought to a splash page, and will have to specify a “sponsor” who has an email on the specified domain. That sponsor receives a confirmation email and must then verify that they want that guest to connect.

For reporting purposes, you can check the Access Control settings under the Wireless section in your Meraki dashboard. There, you can specify the sponsor email domains and the duration of authentication. While the dashboard does not provide a direct report or email notification feature for sponsored devices, you can use SNMP polling to gather information about client devices.

Additionally, it’s worth exploring the Meraki Community forums, where users often share solutions and scripts that might help you automate the reporting process. You may find scripts or third-party tools that can generate the reports you need and even set up weekly email notifications.

If you’re looking for a more automated solution, you might consider reaching out to a Meraki sales representative or support to inquire about any available or upcoming features that could meet your reporting needs.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

JordanCN
Here to help

Hi alemabrahao ,

Thanks for the reponse, but that just tells me how to setup the access which I have already done.  The sponsored devices get on fine so that is not an issue.  Also we don't want the Admins to have to approve guests or receive one off emails on approvals.

Now that they are on, I just want to run a report that lets me know who approved the active devices and maybe things like when they were approved, how long they have left, and which SSID they are on.

I understand that you’re looking for a way to generate a report of the active sponsored devices, including details such as who approved them, when they were approved, how long they have left, and which SSID they are connected to. While the Meraki dashboard provides various monitoring and reporting features, it may not offer a direct report for sponsored guest access with all the details you’re looking for.

You had already asked about this before.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Reports-for-Sponsored-Guest-Wireless/m-p/146007

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Report-on-who-approved-a-Sponsored-Guest-wifi-access-re...

Yes, back in april.  There have been a lot of dashboard updates this year so I wanted to check back. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is there a way to get a report of all the active sponsored wireless devices and who sponsored them? 

As @alemabrahao , there is no way to get this information in a report.

For your employees, have you considered using "Trusted Access"?
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Trusted_Access_for_Se... 

This requires a Systems Manager licence.

I have not thought of using it because it looks like it requires additional licensing.  That is not to big a deal, but I also want to avoid having to give user accounts in another system.  Is there a way sync or approve users by using Azure or On Prem AD?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Trusted Access is an additional license and does support Azure AD authentication for device setup.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels