Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association - error_code='55'

EtienneSwart
Conversationalist

Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association - error_code='55'

Good day everyone

I have some users on my Wireless LAN that are failing to connect to an SSID. This SSID is open with only Radius authentication.

The building is quite a dense Wireless network with a lot of AP's. 802.11r is enabled on the AP's as well.

The error code when looking from the Network Wide > Clients > Roaming point of view is: Failed connection to SSID (x) on AP (x) during association

When looking at the Meraki logs, the error code is as follows: auth_mode='wpa2-802.1x' 11k='1' 11v='1' ft='1' reassoc='1' error_code='55' radio='1' vap='0' channel='100' rssi='51'

Does anybody know what the cause of this error code might be? I have looked through all documentation and I can't find anything on error code 55.

Thanks in advance

Etienne 

9 Replies 9
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is that access point setup on the radius server end as a NAS

Hi Blake. The AP's are all added to an ISE with all Users' credentials.

This issue is intermittent. There will be a lot of successful connections to an AP and then sometimes a user would fail to connect.

This happens at random with random users in the network and random AP's. I have not been able to replicate the issue with a specific user or a specific AP.

Have you verified that all your AP’s are in the right subnet?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

I have confirmed that all AP's are in the same subnet. All of their IP's are static and are added to ISE for authentication

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try disabling the 802.11r.

While many customers enable 802.11r within their network without issue, some legacy devices may not connect to an 802.11r network. 802.11r is a recommended feature due to its many benefits, however a device audit is encouraged first to ensure that mission critical devices are not affected.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This would be my advice too… or turn on ’adaptive’ - although I’ve seen this cause issues too but at least your Apple devices would still benefit. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Anything showing up from that page ? : 

RaphaelL_0-1689692315053.png

Is the device able to connect or it fails at random times ?

MattC1
Here to help

Are these Windows 10/11 devices that are connecting, then losing connection when roaming to a new access point?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That + Intel NIC + MR29.XX firmware that would be my guess

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels